Re: What happens if there IS no tenure? David Goodman 24 May 2000 23:01 UTC

As I understand it from a distance, in the UK the grants for the support
of academic departments depend upon the publishing record. In fact, they
depend upon it in a particularly brutal way--the papers must be published
in journals above a certain impact factor value.

This is, of course, not how impact factors are intended to use, and the
publications from ISI are pretty explicit about that. For one thing, they
are only meaningful with specific disciplines. The impact factor that puts
a zoology journal near the top of the list would be very unimpressive for
biochemistry, because of the different frequencies and time scales of
citation in the two fields. For another, the very high impact factors are
usually but not always for review journals, because of the relatively
small number of articles they contain and the high frequency with which
that type of material is cited. I think this shows the bureaucratic
tendency to rely on a number, any number, rather than real evaluation.

I would be glad to hear from those who know better that things are not
really run in that unintelligent a fashion.

--
David Goodman
Biology Librarian, and