Re: Non-smear stamp for periodicals (10 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 02 May 2000 22:19 UTC

10 messages:

1)_____

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 16:15:12 -0500
From: "Ferm, Carrie" <alicf@AUGUSTANA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Non-smear stamp for periodicals (Ravi Shenoy)

Hi,

Have you tried putting a white label in the corner and stamping that?

Carrie Ferm
Augustana College Library
Periodical Section
Rock Island, Il  61201

Phone:  (309)794-7316   Fax: (309) 794-7230
e-mail: alicf@loki.augustana.edu

2)_____

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 13:46:26 -0500
From: Peter Picerno <ppicerno@CHOCTAW.ASTATE.EDU>
Subject: Re: Non-smear stamp for periodicals (Susan Sturgeon)

While all of the discussion has been interesting, it seems that nobody has
come up with the *real* solution, which is to find an indelible ink which
won't smear on glossy paper (might the ink that is used in laundry markers
work??). I wonder how effective it would be to stamp and then to cover the
stamp with a clear label (it would at least save printing costs)?? Here we
simply stamp inside the journals, and since we usually tattletape them all,
there's not such a theft problem though I wish there were an alarm system
went off whenever anyone pulled or razored pages out of a journal! As to the
binder's information about a buildup of labels preventing a clean bind, I
would think that this would be a problem for, say, eight or more issues of a
journal, but given the patently (in my humble opinion) dumb tradition of
binding which leaves an overhang at the bottom of the cover so that the text
block is unsupported, I can't see where binding with added labels would be
such a problem!

Peter

Dr. Peter V. Picerno
Collection Development Team Leader
Dean B. Ellis Library
P O Box 2040 - 108 Cooley Drive
Arkansas State University
State University, AR 72467
(870) 972-3078
(870) 972-3199 FAX
ppicerno@choctaw.astate.edu

3)______

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 13:58:35 -0500
From: "Pennington, Buddy" <buddy.pennington@ROCKHURST.EDU>
Subject: Re: Non-smear stamp for periodicals (3 messages)

Here are my responses to the problems with labels posed by Bonnie Forrest:

1.  We don't have a binding problem with labels.  You can't bind too many
issues together and stay slimmer than the 2-inch width that is recommended
by binders.  The general exception might be thin newsletters but most of
those are not on slick paper and can be stamped (which we do).

2.  I can't imagine the acidity of the stickers as a real problem.  They may
discolor the cover if they are removed after 20 years, but they aren't going
to dissolve the issue.

3.  When the issues are bound into volumes, these bound volumes are stamped
at the top and have an imprint on the spine.  The labels on the individual
issues don't matter at this point so we are not concerned if they fall out.

4.  We have not had a problem with labels falling off the current issues
either.  Labels or stamps are not a deterrent against theft, the security
strips are.  if we find an unlabeled journal in our library we check it
against our issues (if we even subscribe to the journal).  if we already
have it, we give the found issue away, if not then we check it in.

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library
buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu
#816-501-4143

4)_____

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 12:11:54 -0700
From: Peter McCracken <petermcc@U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Non-smear stamp for periodicals

Could you stamp the date on the cover as usual, and then place a clear
label, as mentioned below, over the date? The label would keep the ink from
smearing and you'd have the date and the ownership information, without
obscuring any important information on the cover of the journal.

Just a thought...

Peter H. McCracken                    Reference & Instructional Librarian
Odegaard Undergraduate Library                  petermcc@u.washington.edu
Univ. of Washington, Box 353080                    office: (206) 616-1969
Seattle, WA  98195-3080                               fax: (206) 685-8485
*Maritime History on the Internet: http://ils.unc.edu/maritime/home.shtml *

5)_____

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 14:47:14 -0500
From: "Skwor, Jeanette" <skworj@UWGB.EDU>
Subject: Why date stamp periodicals?

***We do it so that I can ascertain later, if I need to, when the issue
arrived.  Checkin systems come and go and history is lost, even within
systems.  Checkin histories mirror what I did, not when an issue came (for
example, I am now creating/assigning patterns on our new database and
checking in back issues.  I have no way to fix the date to appear to be the
actual date received.  Ergo, all the issues I checked in today will forever
appear to have arrived today on this system.)  Subscriptions lapse, for no
comprehensible reason, and I want to tell my vendor the last issue arrived
in April 1999 and why is that?  Some things do not get "checked in" per se,
but holdings are updated.  Who's to know, then, when the next volume is
(was) expected?

***In other words, the date stamp on the issue is my fallback, my "plan B"
for when "plan A" fell through as it is wont to do when least expected and
most needed.

Jeanette L. Skwor                             Email:skworj@uwgb.edu
Serials Dept., Cofrin Library                 Phone: (920)465-2670
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay                 Fax: (920)465-2783
Green Bay, WI  54311-7001

6)______

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 14:53:22 -0500
From: Diane Neumeister <DNEUMEIS@LORAS.EDU>

Since our periodicals are barcoded and our barcodes have the library name printed on them, I stopped property-stamping periodicals for a while.

Unfortunately, in the year or two without the property stamp, I discovered that thieves liked to pull off the barcode and the mailing label, making it very difficult to prove ownership of the periodical if it set off the security system (many stores seem to use the same type of system).

Now I've gone back to stamping periodicals (library name and address, no date). If the cover is slick or very dark, I stamp on the contents page or, if there's no contents page, on the first page that isn't advertising.  I don't stamp on labels because they can be pulled off too easily and the labels (especially the more affordable ones) often fall off in a year or two, anyway.

Diane Neumeister
Serials Asst.
Wahlert Memorial Library
Loras College
Dubuque, IA, USA

phone: 319-588-4969
fax: 319-588-7292
e-mail: dneumeis@loras.edu

7)_____

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 16:17:12 -0400
From: Mark Hemhauser <mh8498a@AMERICAN.EDU>

>2)  Why do we stamp the current date on the issue?  What value does this
>give us that justifies the labor involved?  We do not stamp the date on
the
>issue here, but I know tons of libraries do it and I have always been
>curious as to why.  I have never been asked when an issue was received by
>the library.  Just curious as to whether this is something libraries do
just
>because it has always been done in the past...

Yes, there is a legitimate use for date stamping. Let's say the serials
check-in person checks in the wrong issue, then claims the issue that
REALLY came. Based on the date stamped on the issue and the date
checked-in, which are usually the same or very close, you can figure out
what happened. The more errors made the more valuable it is to match up the
dates. This is helpful for resolving problem claims and for figuring out
what went wrong when you attempt to bind the issue. You could guess what
went wrong, but I like the way the date stamp confirms it. When the
publisher misnumbers issues and the check-in person is not as attentive to
what's going on, the date stamp helps clarify when each issue arrived and
what issue it was checked-in as.

Our stamp contains the library name and date received. I figure ten years
down the road when the issues are bound and the bound volume is plated, the
receipt stamp is less valuable. If it falls off, so what? The purpose of
the stamp seems to me to be to mark the loose issue as library property.

Mark Hemhauser
American University Library--Serials

8)_______

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 15:32:09 -0500
From: Diana M Schaubhut <dms01@GNOFN.ORG>

Hi,

We stamp the first page of the journal instead of the cover.

When I first started working with serials, I wondered why we stamped the
date, too.  But I have since found the date very useful when I doing
claiming.  I can look at the date the last issue arrrived and tell if
something is delayed rather than not coming or if a quarterly arrives at
the end of the quarter or at the beginning.

Diana

 ????????????????????????????????????
 ?  Diana Schaubhut                 ?
 ?  Serials/ILL Librarian           ?
 ?  Our Lady of Holy Cross College  ?
 ?  4123 Woodland Drive             ?
 ?  New Orleans, Louisiana 70131    ?
 ?  (504) 394-7744, Ext.103         ?
 ????????????????????????????????????

9)______

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 15:32:12 -0500
From: Ravi Shenoy <rashenoy@NOCTRL.EDU>
Subject: Thanks re:Non-smear stamp for periodicals

Thank you to everyone who responded to the question about a non-smear
stamp.

Here are some of the responses I received.

"We use Avery labels (white) on the glossy surfaces and stamp the labels
instead of directly on the journal/magazine."
"We solved this problem several years ago by creating clear labels with
the name of the library which we print in sheets and slap on the
glossies.  Unfortunately, the dates are obviously not included, just the
ownership."
"As to the library’s name/identification - we ordered barcodes with the
name of our library already on them."
Several libraries use pre-printed stickers.
"Stamp the first white or light colored page inside."
"We stamp our journals on the title page."
"We gave up using stamps and now use self-adhesive pre-printed labels.
We buy ours in great numbers from the Drawing Board."
"We print out our library’s name on stickers using our laser printer and
then just put these on the cover. ..The labels we use are Avery Return
Address Labels for Laser Printers (#5267)"
"We stamp the date and library location on a separate Avery label, 1 x 3
and then we attach that to the magazine.  We also use bright orange
labels so that they will stand out."

--Ravi

--
Ravi Shenoy
Reference Services & Periodicals Librarian

Phone: (630) 637-5712

10)_______

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 14:40:31 -0700
From: Deidre Lowe <Deidre_Lowe@BCIT.CA>

Our Library is now using pre-printed bar code labels that include our
library name on the label along with the bar code. With our new library
system (Innopac), the patrons & staff can see the date the issue was
received in our OPAC.
Previous to this new system, we attached a label with a dispensing gun
that included the date that we set on the "gun" each day.   The labels
were purchased with our library name pre-printed on them and come in
rolls that are loaded into the gun.  The date is printed on the label by
the gun as it dispenses the label directly onto the journal cover.
These label dispensing guns are used by retail stores to label their
merchandise and the labels come in various sizes, colours & shapes.
The label we use is one inch by one inch in size, bright florescent
orange with black print and we still use these on some publications that
we do not bar code.  The labels dispense quickly & easily requiring only
one hand.    We have not received any complaints from our bindery about
these labels and after ten years, I have never known a label to fall
off, in fact they are very hard to remove.

Deidre Lowe, Senior Serials Assistant
Library, Serials Dept.
British Columbia Institute of Technology,  B.C.,  CANADA
Tel.: (604) 432-8882     Fax: (604) 430-5443    Email:
Deidre_Lowe@bcit.ca