Re: Evaluation for student employees (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 31 May 2000 18:19 UTC

3 messages, 183 lines:

(1)---------------------------
Date:         Wed, 31 May 2000 11:28:53 -0500
From:         "Jeanette Skwor" <skworj@UWGB.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Evaluation for student employees

***We've struggled with the same issue; will you please share your

Jeanette L. Skwor                       Email:skworj@uwgb.edu
Serials Dept., Cofrin Library           Phone: (920)465-2670
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay       Fax: (920)465-2783
Green Bay, WI  54311-7001

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Wed, 31 May 2000 13:56:49 -0400
From:         Deborah Harrell <dharrell@WESTGA.EDU>
Comments: To: Carrie Ferm <alicf@AUGUSTANA.EDU>

I've used one for ages, because I get job referrals from people who've
been gone for several years and I can't usually remember well enough to do
a referral.

I rate very satisfactory, satisfactory, fair and unsatisfactory for the
following:

Overall job performance
Neatness of work
Ability to accept supervision
Leadership ability
Relationship with co-workers
Reliability
Attendance
Initiative

Then I also have a section for my comments.

Students must sign the form and there is a place for their comments along
with the following statement:
'My signature above indicates only that I have reviewed and discussed this
evaluation with my supervisor and I am aware of my work performance.  It
does not necessarily signify that I agree.'

I do evaluations at the end of the first semester and then annually
thereafter.

Debbie Harrell
Ingram Library, State University of West Georgia
phone: 770-836-6498
fax: 770-836-6626
<dharrell@WESTGA.EDU>

(3)---------------------------
Date:         Wed, 31 May 2000 11:39:42 -0500
From:         JoAnn Toussaint <J9TOUSSAINT@STTHOMAS.EDU>

Carrie and others:

Here is a copy of the student evaluation form used in our Circulation
department.  They have 8 staff there, each of whom supervises students
when the staff member is scheduled to work the front desk. That makes the
form a little more complicated than may be necessary for you.  The
following does not show the lines used on the form, but I think it
includes all the information you asked about.  I hope it is helpful.
Please see my related question after the end of the form.

 STUDENT'S NAME:                 SEMESTER:

RATINGS:
 4 = Outstanding         3 = Good        2 = Satisfactory        1 =
Unsatisfactory   N/A = Not Applicable

 PLEASE FILL IN YOUR RATINGS IN THE APPROPRIATE BOX      SUPERVISORS (8 of
them) RATINGS
        1       2       3       4       5       6       7       8
1.  JOB KNOWLEDGE

Possesses skills & abilities required

Knows duties/responsibilities of his or her position

Knows relationship of his or her job to others in unit

2.  ABILITY TO LEARN

Learns quickly
Remembers what she or he is taught

3.  RELIABILITY
Job completion
Ability to get things done

4.  DEPENDABILITY

Punctuality and reliability in attendance

5.  WORKING WITH OTHERS

Cooperates with supervisor

Cooperates with co-worker

Cooperates with person outside the unit

Creates favorable impression to the public

6.  INITIATIVE
Takes on additional responsibilities

Displays ingenuity in doing work

Self-starter

7.  QUALITY OF WORK

Ability to do satisfactory work

Ability to follow specified procedures

8.  QUANTITY OF WORK

Volume of work done in specified time

 Average Ratings:

 Supervisor's Signature:         Date:

 Student's Signature:    Date:

I have a related question for SerialsT folks:  Do any of you have knowledge
of a listserv for supervisors of student assistants?  I have been trying to
locate one and have contacted a list serv of administrators of student
employment.  So far I have received a referral to www.liszt.com which didn't
turn up any lists for student supervisors.  Any ideas?

Thanks much!

Jo Ann

Jo Ann Toussaint
Serials Coordinator                Phone: 651-962-5409
O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library  Fax: 651-962-5406
University of St. Thomas        Email: j9toussaint@
2115 Summit Avenue, #5004            stthomas.edu
St. Paul, MN  55105