Re: Donating Library Materials (2 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 05 Jul 2000 18:37 UTC

2 messages:

1)_____

Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 11:45:21 -0600
From: John Lucas <jlucas@ROWLAND.UMSMED.EDU>
Subject: Re: Donating library materials (Diane Neumeister)

Diane and all:

You might try looking at this website.  The  Research Triangle Park in N.C.
has this Subpage that might be of interest.  It has a number of sites and
programs.

The one that led me to the site was the "Project Handclasp" with the Naval base in San Diego.  but there are others

http://rtpnet.org/~wlp/donorgs.htm

John Lucas

Serials Librarian
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 North State St
Jackson, MS 39216-4505

(PH) (601) 984-1277
(FAX)  ( 601) 984-1262

>>> ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 07/05/00 09:59AM >>>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 10:39:02 -0500
From: Diane Neumeister <DNEUMEIS@LORAS.EDU>
Subject: Looking for info on donating books/serials to other countries

Hi all, I need a little help!

I've got a patron who would like to donate the entire collection
(books, magazines, textbooks) from a recently closed elementary
school/middle school (they built a new building and got all new books!!),
to schools or libraries who cannot afford new books.  The patron seems to
think these would be best used in developing nations, but...

Does anyone know of organizations that would apppreciate the donation?
I'm told there are about 10,000 volumes, but I don't have any more
details than I've given.

Please reply to me directly at dneumeis@loras.edu  since I don't think this
is likely to be of general interest to the list.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Di Neumeister
Serials Asst.
Wahlert Memorial Library
Loras College
Dubuque, IA

e-mail: dneumeis@loras.edu

2)_____

Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 12:06:27 -0500
From: "Anne C. Bunting 448-5154" <ABUNTING@UTMEM.EDU>

I don't know what the city public schools in Iowa are like, but we had a
teacher in the Memphis city schools who got one of the M.D.'s here to  call our
director and ask us to give them our 20-30 old books!