Re: Providing Access to Issues in "Bind Prep" (2 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 21 Jul 2000 16:30 UTC

2 messages:

1)_____

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 07:43:36 -0400
From: "Merle A. Kimball" <makimb@MAIL.WM.EDU>
Subject: Re: Providing Access to Issues in "Bind Prep" (Dennis Goodyear)

Dennis,
    We keep our unbound volumes with missing issues in a room used for
periodical binding until we get the missing issue(s) or we decide to bind
incomplete. Patrons come to our public service desk and inquire about the
volume and we pull it so they can use it. We also update our holdings
record to show that the volume is missing issues and that it is being held
in the Serials Office (e.g. v. 5, no. 1-3, 5-6  Jan.-Mar.,May-June 2000 --
In Swem Serials Office). We add a note that the patrons cannot see that it
is missing no. 4, April. When our desk is not open, then the Reference
staff have access to our volumes with missing issues and can get them for
the patron. If they cannot not find it, then they fill out a form and we
look for it the next day and call the patron.
     We will eventually not have a serials public service desk and so we
plan to have Circulation and Reference staff call the Serials Department
and request the volume that a patron needs to use. We will be taking the
volume to either Circulation or Reference (this has not been decided yet).
We are currently undergoing a building addition and renovation whic will
change our configuration.
     This seems to work very well for the patron and for us.

Merle Kimball (Ms.)
Earl Gregg Swem Library
College of William & Mary
Williamsburg, VA  23187-8794

telephone:  757  221-3103
e-mail: makimb@wm.edu

2)______

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:48:06 -0400
From: Lucy Duhon <LDuhon@UTNET.UTOLEDO.EDU>

When we pull for binding, and one or more issues turns up missing, we
mark this fact on the pull slip, along with the date initially noted
missing.  The remainder of the volume, along with its pull slip, is then
held on an incompletes shelf in our bindery prep room.  During this
time, the checkin card (Innopac) shows these issues as having a "bind
prep" status (with the missing issues showing as "missing").  We've
communicated to the public services staff that this means they're on the
incompletes shelf and we make special efforts to retrieve issues from
this shelf when necessary.  In the meantime, we search for the missing
issue(s) 3 times before "thermabinding" the remaining issues (temporary
binding using heavy paper covers embedded with glue, affixed by heat).
For titles that have many thin issues (like newsletter-type) that may
not be held by the spine glue, we can use a kind of togic binding
(Handi-bind) which holds the material together more reliably.

Once an incomplete volume is thermabound, it returns to the regular
public shelves (in the bound periodicals area) while we search for
replacements using the pull slips as a paper trail for ordering.  The
missing issue boxes also remain in our checkin card (Innopac) and are
reviewed for replacement systematically (or not so systematically).

We haven't established a system for determining when to give up on
searching for a replacement - sometimes a search can go on longer than a
year.  We also haven't really determined a way to decide when to bind
incomplete, though a few years ago we went through some older
thermabound volumes and finally bound them incomplete.

To get replacement issues, we try the publisher first (since they hold
stock for a shorter time than they used to), then a back issue dealer
like USBE or Absolute, and also check BACKSERV and our OhioLINK discards
listserv.

We don't routinely replace missing issues of limited retention journals
(replaced eventually by microform or purged every so often).

Lucy Duhon
Serials Librarian
Carlson Library/Serials Dept.
University of Toledo