Re: Modern medicine mix-up with ISSN 0026-8070? -- Regina Reynolds Stephen D. Clark 02 Aug 2000 13:10 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Modern medicine mix-up with ISSN 0026-8070? -- Jan Lahmeyer
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 09:07:11 -0400
From: Regina Reynolds <rrey@LOC.GOV>

In reference to Jan Lahmeyer's concerns about the ISSN for Modern
medicine, I want to make clear that there is *no* policy of re-using
ISSN.
I will look into the circumstances of this particular situation and make
determination about what the correct ISSN should be.  The ISSN national
center in the country of publication is the authority for determining
correct ISSN for titles published in that country.  The ISSN
International
Centre in Paris is the final authority in cases of dispute or policy
conflicts.

This particular problem may have originated before the national ISSN
centers were fully established.  The group of numbers beginning "00"
dates
from the early 1970's when the titles in Ulrich's were given ISSN to
form
a critical mass with which to start the ISSN system.

I will look into this question and post an answer to the list.

Regina Reynolds
Head, National Serials Data Program
Library of Congress

Regina  R. Reynolds                     email: rrey@loc.gov
Head, National Serials Data Program     voice: (202) 707-6379
Library of Congress                     fax    (202) 707-6333
101 Independence Avenue, S.E.           ISSN Web page:
lcweb.loc.gov/issn/
Washington, D.C. 20540-4160