Re: JSTOR & current subscriptions -- Werner Lind Stephen D. Clark 02 Aug 2000 20:15 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 16:06:14 -0400
From: Werner Lind <wlind@MAIL.BLUEFIELD.EDU>

    We are a small liberal arts college library serving perhaps 600-700
students.  Last year, we discarded all of our print runs which were
duplicated on JSTOR.  The reason for this decision was the need to fit
the
constantly growing periodical collection into a fixed area of shelving,
which has become too tight to allow for the luxury of unnecessary
duplication.
    We are keeping the current five years worth of print issues where
they
have always been.  Since we don't bind things very systematically, the
decision not to bind these runs
was not particularly noticeable or significant.  Since they will only be
kept for five years and are lightly used, I don't anticipate any serious
problems with unbound issues being lost or stolen.
    These decisions work out well in our physical and demographic
situation.  If yours is
different, our example may not be completely transferable to your
library.

--
Werner A. Lind
Reference Librarian