Candidates for _Beyond Bookmarks: Schemes for Organizing the Web_(Gerry Mckiernan) Marcia Tuttle 18 Aug 2000 20:42 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:39:15 -0500
From: Gerry Mckiernan <GMCKIERN@GWGATE.LIB.IASTATE.EDU>
Subject: Candidates for _Beyond Bookmarks: Schemes for Organizing the Web_

  _Candidates for _Beyond Bookmarks: Schemes for Organizing the Web_

       I am greatly interested in identifying additional Web collections
that have adopted/adapted Library classification schemes or controlled
vocabularies to organize Web resources. These will be reviewed for
inclusion in my Web clearinghouse _Beyond Bookmarks: Schemes for
Organizing the Web_.

    _Beyond Bookmarks_ is available at:

   http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/CTW.htm

      I am not only interested in the application of international schemes
such as Dewey and Library of Congress, but *national and local* library
schemes as well. Of particular interest is the application of a
*controlled vocabulary* for organizing or augmenting access to a Web
collection.

   Among the sites that I have recently added is the AgNIC [
http://www.agnic.org ] site from the National Agricultural Library (NAL)
that makes use of an internally-developed thesaurus titled "NAL
Agricultural Classification Prototype "
[http://agclass.nal.usda.gov/agdb70/index.htm ]

  As Always, Any and All contributions, queries, critiques, comments,
questions, concerns, etc., etc. are Most Welcome.

 Regards,

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu

   "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It!"
                               Alan Kay
      http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/GASCH.KAY.HTML