Summary responses to crash course in serials (M. Lou Nesson) Marcia Tuttle 01 Oct 2000 00:13 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 09:51:40 -0400
From: M. Lou Nesson <mlnesson@gis.net>
Subject: summary responses to crash course in serials

"I would like to recommend you take advantage of some of the serials
classes offered through OCLC. I took the Serials Cataloging course in
Seattle and felt it more than worth my while to attend.  OCLC has also
offered classes in Union listing that was also excellent."

"I went out and bought a book titled Management of Serials in Libraries
(Thomas E. Nisonger, 1998).  I think it does a decent job of covering all
of the basic territories of serials management (physical processing,
cataloging, subscriptions, exchange lists, etc.)"

"A publication that I have found very helpful is "Serials Management: A
Practical Guide" by Chiou-sen Dora Chen. It's concise and easy to use, has
a good index and appendix."

"I have recently taken a serials position with no prior experience
in serials. In my case, my predecessor is still available for
questions, but I am supplying most of the framework myself, to be
supplemented by answers to specific questions from my
predecessor. I have been relying on some books and journal
readings. The most useful book so far has been: Serials
management : a practical guide / Chiou-sen Dora Chen, 1995."

I would like to thank everyone who responded. My library has no current
literature on this topic so I will be ordering the recommended titles and
taking advantage of a Serials Course Management Online, developed by Phil
Greene, VP of EBSCO Subscription Services. I requested printed version to
compliment the online, and received it within a week. The course is
available at http://www.ebsco.com/ess/serials/manageindex.stm.

M. Lou Nesson M.L.I.S.
Assistant Librarian
Massasoit Community College