Re: Holdings Lists: include electronic? (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 21 Sep 2000 21:52 UTC

2 messages, 166 lines:

(1)---------------------------
Date:         Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:49:34 -0500
From:         Anne Frohlich <frohlich@MAIL.MCNEESE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Holdings Lists: include electronic?

We put our holdings list on the web and also print about 15 copies for the
library.  At this point I do not think it is quick and easy for our
students to find holdings information when they have citations in
aggregator databases.  We hope that students working from home will be
able to check our holdings before they come to the library.

Our holdings list:
http://www.mcneese.edu/library/depts/serials/biged/list.htm At the start
the web list was pasted from Microsoft Word.  It looks exactly like the
printed version does.

We have also put our lists of journals by department on the web:
http://www.mcneese.edu/library/depts/serials/dept/deptlist.htm This comes
from my Access database, transferred to Microsoft Word, then to HTML.

We have only included in the holdings list a few electronic journals that
we order direct.  I feel that the situation with "free" or "free with
print" is too uncertain for the work involved.  We do catalog the
ejournals that we subscribe to.

I expect that when our journal databases show clearly which journals
McNeese has we will consider no longer printing a journal holdings list.

Anne Frohlich, Serials Librarian
McNeese State University Library
Box 91445
Lake Charles, LA 70609
Phone: 337-475-5741
1-800-622-3352 x5741
Fax:     337-475-5719
http://www.mcneese.edu/library/

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:20:27 -0500
From:         Buddy Pennington <buddy.pennington@ROCKHURST.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Holdings Lists: include electronic? (2 messages)

Kendall,

We put our holdings into an Access database and then I created an ASP page
that allows users to search that database and display the results using a
search form.  Look at:
http://www.rockhurst.edu/3.0/services_and_resources/library/interactive/Maes
tro/index.asp.  It is relatively easy to download the FT holdings from the
vendor's websites for databases.  We have holdings information for ProQuest,
Academic Universe, JSTOR, and a host of FirstSearch databases.  I update the
electronic info twice per year, and it usually takes a couple of hours to
do.

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library
buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu
#816-501-4143

Date:         Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:07:39 -0400
From:         Steven Murden <stevemurden@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Holdings list including electronic

separate print holdings list of periodicals.  You are _always_ going to
run into the problem of what to include.  Current only?  Ceased/cancelled
subscriptions? Microform?  And now, electronic?

Does your library maintain a separate print list of monographs?  How about
sound recordings?  Videos?  Why do we have this persistent urge to create
more work for ourselves?  Library users, especially in an academic
environment, need to learn how to use the online catalog to do research.
Unless your electronic titles are not included in your catalog (and why
wouldn't they be?), the answer to "Do you have journal title X?" is right
there, online.

Before the flames start, I understand that the situation might be very
different in public, school, and special libraries, and even in a
community college or small college library.  For a large university
library, the cost of creating, maintaining, and printing such a list seems
a poor use of limited resources.

Steve Murden
librarian without portfolio
(no caveats needed, because there's no institution to protect)

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:13:05 -0500
From:         Kendall Vance <KVance@MAIL.WCC.CC.IL.US>
Subject:      Re: Holdings Lists: include electronic? (4 messages)

If possible, would anyone else who has implemented a holdings list on
their website please provide the URL, along with comments/suggestions you
might offer to anyone attempting the same? The few that have been posted
here to day have been helpful. I am considering ways to improve ours
<http://library.wcc.cc.il.us/web/holdings/
<http://library.wcc.cc.il.us/web/holdings/> > , both by streamlining the
interface, and by incorporating our electronic serials, but am
more-or-less stumped at the moment. Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Kendall Vance
Periodicals Mgmt. Asst.
Waubonsee Community College-Todd Library
Route 47 at Harter Rd.
Sugar Grove, IL 60554
Ph# 630.466.7900 x2333
Fax# 630.466.7799