Re: Cost per title... (Dan Lester) Marcia Tuttle 24 Oct 2000 20:06 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:03:05 -0600
From: Dan Lester <dan@riverofdata.com>
Subject: Re: Cost per title... (2 messages)

>>  A few even still insist
>> you take the whole group in paper if you want it in electronic.
>> Now's the place to laugh.

> There's little laughter about preservation. Computers are
> not designed for academic archival standards.

Nonsense.  Yes, I know that CDROMs may not last as long as archival
paper. However, today's disk copies can be copied to new disks, or to
whatever magnetic, optical, or other devices are developed in the
future.  The copying can be done automatically on a regular schedule,
just like libraries do backups of their databases.  In addition, the
copies can be distributed so that there is no "last copy" that could
be accidentally or deliberately destroyed.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan@RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA