Re: Cost per title... (Buddy Pennington) Marcia Tuttle 26 Oct 2000 21:33 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:11:37 -0500
From: "Pennington, Buddy" <buddy.pennington@ROCKHURST.EDU>
Subject: Re: Cost per title... (2 messages)

I think we are talking apples and oranges here.  Electronic documents are
not the same as electronic serials (that you subscribe to or access via
full-text databases). This discussion was about the costs of electronic
versions of print journals, not about electronic documents on the world wide
web.  I agree on the prevalence of 404's on the web, but I haven't had any
problems with 404's in FT databases or JSTOR.

>Let's see.. HTML and XML are new, but MS Word is OLD?

I don't get this.  MS Word is not old and shares the same problems as HTML
and XML.  Not every computer runs Word.  In fact, Word is worse than HTML
and XML in terms of platform compatibility.

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library
buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu