Re: Serials Cancellation Formulas (David Goodman) Marcia Tuttle 05 Oct 2000 20:19 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 16:15:12 -0400
From: David Goodman <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Re: Serials Cancellation Formulas (Steve Black)

The following is a very personal statement about the way I look at this
problem, and I know that many librarians whom I respect disagree with me
about all or most of it.

I/ Decisions about WHICH journals to buy:

There are two different types of approaches:
1. Determine what the facts are
2. Determine what other people think
3. doing what's easiest.

Among the factors cited below, examples of type 1 include:
looking at the price per use
looking at JCR to see what people in the subject cite

Examples of type 2 include:
seeing what Katz thinks
seeing what the faculty think.

Additional type 1 factors that have been considered are:
seeing what journals faculty cite in their research papers
seeing what journals students cite in the honors theses/papers/etc.

ASdditional type 2 factors are:
the various types of opinion polls
the many versions of quota systems
all the other "authoritative" lists

Type 3 factors that are widely used, but rarely admitted, include:
buying whatever journals you can get on package deals with the least work
buying whatever journals the most influential faculty ask for
buying whatever you bought last year, eliminating the most expensive if necessary

Asking the faculty will at best tell you what they think they and their their
students ought to use, not what they and their students do use. Furthermore,
you'll get a collection tailored to the interests of the few who speak up, not
the whole group of users.

Combining invalid factors into a mathematical formula does not make them any
more valid. Using many measures is only relevant if the measures are valid in the
first place. We buy for the patrons to use. Actual use by the actual patrons
is the measure.

imho, any consideration of factors other than type 1 is an admission that
you lack the professional abilities to do collection development
and need to let someone else do it for you. Of course, if that is in fact the
case,
it probably _is_ better to let someone you trust do it for you;
thus, small hospital libraries appropriately rely on the MLA lists.

II. Decisions about WHAT FORMAT to get them in.

But, if you are considering merely substituting true full versions of journals
online for the same journals in print, you need do none of this. Just make
sure that  all the content (including illustrations and letters) is truly
there, that the campus-wide ip access really works,  and that archiving
arrangements are ok, and go ahead if there is a savings in  cost or added
convenience. I regard this as a purely technical decision. Any user who wants
print, can print from the electronic version. I do not consider this is a
matter which requires consulting the patrons on each title, as long as your
campus has a general consensus that ejournals rather than print are a good
thing when possible.