Re: Serials Cancellation Formulas (Stefanie DuBose) Marcia Tuttle 06 Oct 2000 15:19 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 10:13:49 -0400
From: "DuBose, Stefanie" <DUBOSES@MAIL.ECU.EDU>
Subject: RE: Serials Cancellation Formulas (David Goodman)

        Among the factors cited below, examples of type 1 include:
        looking at the price per use
        looking at JCR to see what people in the subject cite
        seeing what journals faculty cite in their research papers
        seeing what journals students cite in the honors theses/papers/etc.

David makes a very good point here.  We are, fundamentally, stewards of
institutional/state money, and must consider valid, and if possible,
quantifiable measures that support our spending choices.

Part of our evaluation method includes JCR impact factors, in house use,
electronic use and faculty/student citation analyses.  Cost is a factor, of
course, but if an institution owns an expensive title that has substantial
use, high citation rates and substantial ILL use, the use justifies the
cost.  Part of what an institution can do is eliminate format
duplication--look at what your titles are and how many formats they are
in--cancel the microfilm, perhaps, or the paper subscription if available
online (with decent archiving)--quick and dirty methods, I must say, if
you're up against a deadline.  Of course, much depends on the library's
administration, too.  Some administrators may want to push for electronic
only despite the issues that surround archiving; that's a tough call to make
as we try to balance administrative factors with concern for the future.

Another idea I've had is looking at departmental budgets using the MAP
formula and factoring that adjustment in.  For example, a department may
have $125,000 in journal titles, yet have only 12 faculty members and a
small graduate program.  That must have an impact on cancellations, but in
terms of a formula, I'm not sure how, except to assign a weight to each
factor.

The other concern that arises for me is archiving, which has been discussed
often in this forum.  My question is what constitutes "OK" archiving
procedures?  Last year our math faculty members were in favor of electronic
only, and now they are sharing my concern with the archiving issue.  I
think, in my case, that I have a problem with the access vs. ownership
issue--we've paid for the information, therefore we should always have
access to it, despite potential technological obsolescence.  Maybe it's just
me...

Regards,

Stefanie DuBose
Assistant Collection Development Librarian
Joyner Library
East Carolina University
(p)252-328-2598 (f)252-328-4834
duboses@mail.ecu.edu <mailto:duboses@mail.ecu.edu>