Haworth Press Journals (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 13 Oct 2000 17:04 UTC

----------(1)
>>From mulliner@OHIO.EDU Fri Oct 13 13:01:04 2000
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:18:34 -0400
From: Kent Mulliner <mulliner@OHIO.EDU>
Subject: Re: Fwd: RE: Haworth Press journals (Carol Morse) (fwd)

         This Haworth explanation is weird to say the least.  It
completely ignores that CCC payments fall on the borrower while
subscription costs fall on the lender.  So Haworth is charging you more so
you can meet Library X's need.

         Implicit within the response from Haworth, should I understand
that a borrowing institution need not monitor borrowing requests to stay
within fair use guidelines because Haworth has already assessed these
charges to the lender? It sounds like a strategy that tells me that I
should only get information from Haworth publications through ILL (for
which some other institution has already paid for unlimited lending
rights) rather than buying a subscription for my institution.

         Can the Haworth's business strategy really be so topsy-turvey?

                 kent mulliner, ohio university

At 10:11 AM 10/13/00 -0400, you wrote:

>Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:57:57 -0700
>From: Carol Morse <MorsCa@WWC.EDU>
>Subject: Fwd: RE: Haworth Press journals (Carol Morse)
>
>Here is an answer from Haworth Press.
>Carol Morse
>
>********************************************************************************
>Carol Morse                                                  Tel.  509)
>527-2684
>Serials Librarian                                             Fax 509)
>527-2001
>Walla Walla College Library                     Email  morsca@wwc.edu
>104 S.W. Adams St.
>College Place, WA  99324-1195
>
>Give us strength for the journey and wisdom to know the way.
>********************************************************************************
>
>Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 07:57:17 -0500
>From: Jayne Sappington <lijas@LIB.TTU.EDU>
>Subject: RE: Haworth Press journals (Carol Morse)
>To: MorsCa@WWC.EDU
>
>Dear Carol,
>
>Libraries are charged more for subscriptions because publishers know that
>libraries will make copies for ILL and individual patrons will also make
>copies.  Instead of having to pay the Copyright Clearance Center every time
>someone makes a copy, the library pays a higher subscription of which part
>is supposed to be sent to the CCC to cover paying for use of the copyright.
>So the extra charge really is fair.
>
>Jayne
>
>Jayne A. Sappington
>Head of Bibliographic Services
>Texas Tech University Libraries
>Box 40002                 voice(806)742-2283
>Lubbock, TX  79409        fax (806)742-0737
>lijas@lib.ttu.edu

K. Mulliner       Collection Development Coordinator

Ohio University Libraries               Phone: 740-593-2707
Athens, OH 45701-2978, USA              FAX:    740-593-2708
mulliner@ohio.edu

----------(2)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:20:11 -0400
From: David Goodman <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU>

The extra charge if for this purpose is not fair at all.

In the case of libraries at educational and other non-profit institutions
the users have a statutory right in the US to make single copies of
articles for their personal use without the need to pay royalties to the
copyright holder. In the case of libraries at profit-making institutions,
the libraries either pay through the CCC or otherwise obtain licenses.

So Haworth may be increasing the price to cover payments it might hope to
get, but is not legally entitled to. All the royalties that it is entitled
to from copies sold to an academic library is for use beyond fair use;
this basically is ILL use outside the guidelines, and course packs. Every
library I know is scrupulous about paying for ILL use beyond CCG, so if
Haworth is increasing the price to cover this, it's getting paid twice.
And all libraries certainly strongly urge faculty to obtain and pay for
permission for course packs.

So this purported justification is nonsense. The truth is one or both of
the following:

1. They charge libraries more because libraries will pay more, and
individuals won't.

2. The price to individuals represents very close to the incremental cost
of printing and distributing the copies, and it's from the additional
amount that libraries pay that they get their profit.

Since a commercial publisher must run a business and earn a living, it is
not unreasonable for it to make a fair profit. Our proper role is to
determine whether the journal is worth what it costs us.