Position Announcement: Serials Associate Editor, Bowker/Reed Elsevier (fwd) Marcia Tuttle 19 Oct 2000 00:31 UTC

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:46:41 -0400
From: Kristine.Birch@renp.com
Subject: Posting for listserv@list.uvm.edu

Hello!

My name is Kristine Birch and I am in the Human Resources department at
Reed Elsevier - New Providence.  We are based in NJ, but our Bowker
division has an open position that will be located mainly at the Library
of Congress in Washington DC.  Due to our contract we need to recruit for
this position as soon as possible.

Serials Associate Editor                        full time, exempt

Experience & Requirements: MLS/MLIS degree required. 2-3 years of
bibliographic, library and/or database experience required.  Knowledge of
AACR2 cataloging and indexing mandatory.  Editorial or comparable experience
a plus.
Excellent written and verbal English-language skills required. Applicants
with additional language skills will be given preference. Position requires
sound editorial judgement, and an ability to adhere to schedules and
multiple deadlines. Must be accountable and work well under pressure.
Attentiveness to detail, accuracy and organization are essential. Must be
patient and willing to perform somewhat tedious data entry.  Must interact
effectively with individuals at all levels.

Job Description (specific duties & responsibilities): Catalog and assign
ISSN to periodicals submitted to the Library of Congress. Subject classify,
catalogue, edit bibliographic information about international serials
publications listed in Bowker's prestigious bibliographic reference work.
Input new records online. Proofread printouts of database entries (coded
data, subject classifications, etc.) Perform quality control functions.
Review national bibliographies, publisher catalogues, sample issues, and
secondary sources to select new titles for addition to the serials database.
Special projects as assigned.  Assist with the development and testing of
enhancements and new projects as assigned.

Advancement potential and selling points: Presents opportunity to work at
Library of Congress, Washington DC. Offers potential for advancement within
the Serials department, as well as within Bowker, for motivated individuals
who not only can complete their assignments with superb quality in a timely
manner, but also take the initiative to help grow the company's database and
business.  The work experience an individual could gain from Bowker, a
leading publishing company, and the Library of Congress would lay a solid
foundation for him/her in their pursuit of a career in librarianship or the
publishing industry.

Look forward to hearing from you, and thanks again!

Kristine Birch
Human Resources
Reed Elsevier - New Providence
121 Chanlon Rd