Cost per title... (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 02 Nov 2000 13:31 UTC

----------(1)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 12:00:12 -0500
From: csyed <ad6509@wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: Cost per title... (Albert Henderson)

Albert Henderson <NobleStation@COMPUSERVE.COM> wrote:

> The technology -- which
> was not designed to meet the norms of science and
> scholarship -- has not made it easier.

If you mean the Web, it was designed to support the scientists working at the
CERN nuclear facility in Switzerland. You can't get much more scholarly than
quantum physics. ;-)

The problem is that many non-scientists embraced the Web, and that it has become
a hodgepodge. Berners-Lee actually hoped that his invention would be able to
link information in ways hitherto unknown in computing. The problem is, it
worked a bit too well.

A similar thing happened in the late 1980s with Usenet Newsgroups. They were
used by scientists, they had their own netiquette rules, then they were adopted
by people who neither knew nor cared about the rules.

http://valinor.purdy.wayne.edu/quotes.html, at http://www.w3c.org, and the
monograph _Weaving The Web_.

cbs

---
Chris Brown-Syed <ad6509@wayne.edu> <http://valinor.purdy.wayne.edu>
Ph: +1 313 577-0503.  Fax: +1 313 577-7563. Pager: +1 519 987-8409
Editor, Library & Archival Security. LIS Program, 106 Kresge Library,
Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA, 482023939

----------(2)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 07:54:22 -0500
From: Albert Henderson <NobleStation@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject: Re: Cost per title... (David Goodman)

David,

I must say that I have failed again to make myself clear.

How does one identify the precise location of a quoted
passage that exists in an HTML file that has no page numbers
of its own? What page numbers would you put in brackets? In
my experience with HTML, it paginates according to the size
of the text and the size of the page. A file may use 5 pages
or 8 pages depending upon the user's settings. On-screen
presentation uses no page numbers. A precise reference that
is easy with a traditional source is not possible with HTML.

HTML output also garbles and loses lines. If one cares, one
must read carefully and perhaps compare the output with the
source file. The is a standard in publishers' production
that is being foisted on unsuspecting readers.

Albert Henderson
Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY 1994-2000
<70244.1532@compuserve.com>