Re: Cost per title... (David Goodman0 Marcia Tuttle 02 Nov 2000 16:36 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:40:48 -0500
From: "David Goodman dgoodman@Princeton.EDU" <dgoodman@PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Cost per title... (2 messages)

If the file has a printed equivalent, the page numbers are those of the
printed equivalent. If the filedoesnt, but has an Acrobat equivalent or the
like, the page numbers are those corresponding to it.
If none of this applies, there are alternativetechniques that are even more
precise and are used in fields like law and literature where more precision
is needed, like numbered lines.

Electronic text even gives us the opportunity to refered to sequential
numbered words or characters, if we wanted to.

Print was a fine technology, still good for many purposes.
There are now technologies even better, for some purposes at least. I think
the dissemination of scholarly information to be a prime example.

Even computer solutions can of course be further improved; it has even been
possible to devise better equivalents of the net groups, like this mailing
list.