Re: FYI: Ulrich's is NOT discontinued (David Goodman) Marcia Tuttle 09 Nov 2000 14:17 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 21:41:21 -0500
From: David Goodman <dgoodman@PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Re: FYI: Ulrich's is NOT discontinued (Diane Neumeister)

Furthermore, it is important for a research library to continue to get the
print version. The online version is a continuously updated file. There is
no way to check back and find out what the price, etc. was in a previous
year.  This also applies to BIP, and many similar directory databases.
Obviously this will not matter in most practical situations, but it is
critical for maintaining the historical record for future research.
Also, a large system which may previously have received more than one
print copy of Ulrichs [etc.] now needs only one, plus the online.

This is not to disparage the excellent online version, but before
research libraries can make the change to using online sources only a
practical solution will need to be found for this problem. Technically of
course there is no problem in maintaining snapshots of this or any
database, but someone will have to accept the responsibility, do the work,
and bear the cost.

David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu            609-258-3235