Cost per title... (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 17 Nov 2000 14:12 UTC

----------(1)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:15:42 -0400
From: David Goodman <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Re: Cost per title... (Chris Brown-Syed)

Al, have you never received a conventionally printed item with misprinted or
missing pages?

----------(2)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:11:06 -0500
From: Albert Henderson <NobleStation@COMPUSERVE.COM>

on Wed, 15 Nov 2000 Chris Brown-Syed <ad6509@wayne.edu> wrote:

> Albert Henderson wrote:
> >         Get out the mustard. I am mailing some HTML pages that I
> >         printed the other day only to find the top line missing
> >         several times.
>
> That is not a function of HTML. That's a function of your printer setup. I'd be
> willing to bet Albert is using Explorer and not Netscape too. ;-)
>
> HTML _itself_ cannot "lose" or "garble" anything, because HTML is just markup
> inserted in a document. However, documents, whether encoded with HTML or written
> with Word, Acrobat, or even old WordPerfect 5.1, _can_ end up being garbled by
> software or hardware.
>
> The problem here is that Albert _says_ "HTML", but really he means the whole
> system of electronic document delivery over the Web.

        You are saying that HTML is perfect. It's the rest of the
        system that fails. That would include the electric company.

> For anyone who wishes, I'd recommend the book _Light on the Internet_ by Wendy
> Lehnert. Its full citation (including a picture of the cover), is on the
> syllabus available off the page http://valinor.purdy.wayne.edu/matrix.html.

        Perhaps one can even read it off line.

Albert Henderson,
Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY 1994-2000
70244.1532@compuserve.com