Re: Abbreviations as added entries? (Biserka Mrzljak) Marcia Tuttle 24 Nov 2000 16:52 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 11:11:24 -0500
From: Biserka Mrzljak <bmrzljak@LIB.UWO.CA>
Subject: Re: Abbreviations as added entries? (Konstantin Gurevich)

Yes! At University of Western Ontario (UWO),London, Ont., Canada, we
have very often accommodated these kind of requests by adding variant
titles as 246 13 or 246 1blank |iCited as:|a; Known as:|a
or whatever the most appropriate phrase would be depending on the case.

We had a case where a journal title was differently cited in a reference
source database, but upon searching our catalogue a user was not able to
find it in our holdings. Fortunately, a reference librarian, who was
subsequently consulted, identified a journal in our holdings and alerted
the cataloguer to improvement for accessing this journal.

At the time of cataloguing it was not known that the title of this
particular journal would undergo any "metamorphosis" in aggregates or
resourse databases, or descriptive cataloguing provisions were less
flexible for providing additional title variations. When we are allerted
to this kind of annomalies, we are always trying to improve on the
access.

Biserka Mrzljak
Cataloguing Liaison Librarian
for Serials