New 856 subfields (Helen Cahill) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 27 Nov 2000 21:43 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:39:39 +1300
From: Helen Cahill <H.Cahill@MASSEY.AC.NZ>
Subject: New 856 subfields

Hi all,

We're currently investigating the acquisition of a MARC record set from
ProQuest. While assessing the test records, I queried their use of the
subfield $y in MARC tag 856 and was told that it's a new code which has
been recently adopted.

After checking our paper copy of MARC 21, and also the web version, I
couldn't find that subfield listed. I eventually found my way to the MARBI
discussion paper at: http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2000/2000-07.html
which appears to have been approved by the MARC Advisory Committee meeting
in July.

If the subfield has been approved, does that mean that it's fine to use it
now on our own systems, or do we need to wait for them to appear as a
revision in MARC 21? (I'm not sure whether I need to approach our system
vendor for a change yet or not).

And, while I'm asking questions, is there anybody who has loaded a ProQuest
file into an Innovative system who would be willing to share information?
If so, please contact me directly.

Thanks for any help,
Helen C.

Helen Cahill, Serials Cataloguer       phone: + 64 06 350-5799 x7610
Massey University Library              fax: + 64 06 350-5692
Te Putanga ki te Ao Matauranga         email: H.Cahill@massey.ac.nz
Private Bag 11054                      http://www.massey.ac.nz
Palmerston North, New Zealand