Re: New 856 subfields (2 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 28 Nov 2000 15:38 UTC

2 messages:

1)______

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:49:48 -0500
From: Judy McConnell <jmcconne@PCT.EDU>
Subject: Re: New 856 subfields (Helen Cahill)

I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has loaded  the
Proquest Marc records into their systems.

Thanks

Judy F. McConnell
Assistant Professor
Serials Librarian
Penn College Library DIF #69
One College Avenue
Williamsport, PA 17701-5799
Phone: 570-320-2400  X7458
Fax: 570-327-4503
E-mail: jmcconne@pct.edu

___
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:39:39 +1300
From: Helen Cahill <H.Cahill@MASSEY.AC.NZ>
Subject: New 856 subfields

Hi all,

We're currently investigating the acquisition of a MARC record set
from
ProQuest. While assessing the test records, I queried their use of the
subfield $y in MARC tag 856 and was told that it's a new code which
has
been recently adopted.

After checking our paper copy of MARC 21, and also the web version, I
couldn't find that subfield listed. I eventually found my way to the
MARBI
discussion paper at: http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2000/2000-07.html

which appears to have been approved by the MARC Advisory Committee
meeting
in July.

If the subfield has been approved, does that mean that it's fine to use
it
now on our own systems, or do we need to wait for them to appear as a
revision in MARC 21? (I'm not sure whether I need to approach our
system
vendor for a change yet or not).

And, while I'm asking questions, is there anybody who has loaded a
ProQuest
file into an Innovative system who would be willing to share
information?
If so, please contact me directly.

Thanks for any help,
Helen C.

Helen Cahill, Serials Cataloguer       phone: + 64 06 350-5799 x7610
Massey University Library              fax: + 64 06 350-5692
Te Putanga ki te Ao Matauranga         email: H.Cahill@massey.ac.nz
Private Bag 11054                      http://www.massey.ac.nz
Palmerston North, New Zealand

2)____

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:04:20 -0500
From: Aurora Ioanid <aioanid@MONMOUTH.EDU>

Please respond to the list. I am also interested and I am sure a lot of other
people are.
Thanks
Aurora Ioanid
Monmouth University