Re: Restaurants & institutions (Chris Koehler) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 01 Dec 2000 16:08 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 08:42:10 -0600
From: Chris Koehler <c-koeh@MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU>
Subject: Re: Restaurants & Institutions

Virginia-

We subscribe to "Restaurants & Institutions" and have had the same
problems you have with the "Marketplace" issues.  We cataloged them
under a separate record and set up a separate order through our vendor,
SwetsBlackwell (then Readmore), for the Marketplace issues only.  We
have been receiving them regularly, but the publisher informed us in July
that the "Marketplace" issues are now part of the regular subscription,
so we'll just have to wait and see if these continue to come in as smoothly
as they have in the past.

In regards to back issues, I got a positive response from Lorry Zirlin
at lzirlin@cahners.com .

Chris Koehler

>Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:37:26 -0500
>From: Virginia Taffurelli <taffurev@HSCBKLYN.EDU>
>Subject: Restaurants & institutions
>
>Dear Serialsters,
>
>I seek the collective wisdom of other libraries receiving the title
>Restaurants & institutions (ISSN: 0273-5520; OCLC # 7076392).  This
>publication previously had a companion called: Restaurants & institutions
>marketplace (OCLC #18944777) which is no longer being published
>separately.  It has been incorporated into the main publication, bearing
>the same ISSN. There are 24 issues of the main title with 7 issues of
>Marketplace interspersed in the numbering.
>
>To complicate matters, the Marketplace issues are oversized, creating a
>problem for binding.  We are charged a premium price for oversize volumes
>plus additional charges for filler because the issues are different sizes.
>
>To further complicate matters, certain issues are sent only to "qualified
>subscribers" which do not include libraries.  There is no way of knowing
>in advance which issues we will not be getting.  We claim missing issues
>multiple times with no response from the vendor, and our holdings
>statement is difficult to read because of the many gaps.
>
>How are other libraries dealing with this title or other titles with
>similar problems?  I would appreciate all comments.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Virginia Taffurelli
>Head of Technical Processing
>Science, Industry and Business Library
>The New York Public Library

>End of SERIALST Digest - 29 Nov 2000 to 30 Nov 2000 (#2000-229)

Chris Koehler                              Email: c-koeh@maroon.tc.umn.edu
University of Minnesota                    Phone: 612-624-3755
Magrath (formerly St.Paul Campus) Library  Fax: 612-624-9245
1984 Buford Ave.
St.Paul, MN 55108  USA

"You shouldn't eat things from trees if they're not cleaned" -Charles Davis