Re: Binding Question (2 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 06 Dec 2000 15:26 UTC

2 messages:

1)_____

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 08:53:02 -0500
From: "Arnold, Margaret" <mrarnold@EMAIL.UNCC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Binding Question

Germaine,
We note the presence of title page, table of contents,index and whether they
are received loose with the vol, loose with the next issue, bound in,
whatever, on the binding record for the title, then include what to do with
them on the collating instructions we send to the bindery (bind TP,C front,
index back, etc).  Title pages I'm really not too concerned about, but
having done research myself, I know the importance of being able to quickly
look up an article or author in an index or table of contents for a vol,
rather than relying on the citation to have accurate, specific or
understandable information. Also with the index, you can check for other
articles on that topic, or articles by that author that might not be exactly
the same subject heading, but suit your research purposes. In addition,
often having a volume table of contents means the back covers of the issues
can be removed, making the vol less wieldy, and maybe meaning binding more
issues in a single vol.
So there -  more than you wanted to know?

Margaret Robinson Arnold
Bindery Supervisor
Atkins Library
UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC  28223-0001      email: mrarnold@email.uncc.edu

2)_____

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 08:16:57 -0600
From: "Pennington, Buddy" <buddy.pennington@ROCKHURST.EDU>
Subject: Re: Binding Question (3 messages)

We do not make an effort to remove the items and have them bound at the
front.  As the others have stated, if you want to do this, it is easiest to
pay the binders a bit more to do it themselves.  We do not do it because we
do not have that many volumes bound (we retain most of our holdings on
microfiche because of a lack of space).  I also wonder if the effort or cost
is really justified for most journals given that the users, in the vast
majority of cases, have a citation that already has the page numbers for the
article they need.  How many users browse through the bound volumes looking
for articles?  And if so, shouldn't we let them know there are better ways
of finding articles on a topic (like indexes and databases)?

Of course, the charge for having the binder do the work may be so small that
it really makes no difference in the long run.

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library
buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu