Re: ISSN for online serial in single record approach Chris Blackman 24 Jan 2001 16:22 UTC

I believe, unless I've missed changes, that if you are using the single
record approach, you are not able to use the 776 field for an alternate
format. There is no record for an alternate format, therefore you can't
refer to it with a 776 note.

This is one of my problems with using the single record vs. the multiple
record approach -- you can't put down the information that you want to
retrieve about the alternate format on a record for the other format.
Think aggregators, how do find them in your catalog when you use single
record method? E-ISSNs are just another argument for multiple records.

I don't like the idea of fudging cataloging rules just to make life
easier. My pet peeve.

Chris Blackman
Catalog Librarian
Williams College Libraries