Re: CD-ROMs of volumes of journals (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 29 Jan 2001 16:52 UTC

2 messages, 68 lines:

(1)---------------------------
Date:         Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:00:32 -0800
From:         Stefanie Wittenbach <stefw@POP.UCR.EDU>
Subject:      Re: CD-ROMs of volumes of journals

         We recently reviewed and documented our procedures for handling
CD-ROMs received in books and with journal titles.  See our website for
the complete policy:
http://library.ucr.edu/depts/acquisitions/cdromproc.shtml. Stefanie

Stefanie Wittenbach
Head of Acquisitions
University Library
University of California, Riverside
P.O. Box 5900
Riverside, CA  92517-5900
909/787-2805  909/787-3720 fax
stefw@pop.ucr.edu

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:02:35 -0400
From:         David Goodman <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU>

We find them useless as compared to web access. The added features are not
worth the trouble. The added feature of campus-wide accessibility and
consequent user satisfaction is what's worth the cost for web access. We
do keep them, uncataloged, in a box, arranged by title. If we had to use
them we would put them on a CD server, if the license permitted. In the
past, when databases came in this format, we did this. If it was not
networkable, we used Pioneer 6-CD changers, with the disks locked in place
and the changer permanently connected to a stand alone computer. It
worked, slowly, when there was nothing better.

--
David Goodman
Biology Librarian