Re: Supplement or new title? (5 messages) Birdie MacLennan 30 Jan 2001 17:21 UTC

5 messages, 133 lines:

(1)---------------------------
Date:         Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:25:11 -0700
From:         Gene.Stortz@UCHSC.EDU
Subject:      Re: Supplement or new title?

Lynne,

Our ILS allows us to set up the checkin record with the main title first and
then we add boxes for the supplements with separate volumes and issues right
after with the name of the supplement in the note field.  A bit more of a
bother setting up the checkin record but easy to record as they come in and
then the info is there for binding also.  If this doesn't make sense, ask me
questions.

Some days I think that all serial publishers should work in a library
serials department for month to learn what the impact of their decisions
makes on us!

Ms Gene Gardner, Serials Librarian
Denison Memorial Library
4200 E. Ninth Avenue A003
Denver CO 80262-0003
(303)315-0245
gene.stortz@uchsc.edu

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Tue, 30 Jan 2001 07:35:10 -0800
From:         Steve Shadle <shadle@U.WASHINGTON.EDU>

Lynne -- From LCRI 21.28B

Serial Supplements to Other Serials

        Create a separate bibliographic record for a serial supplement to
another serial if the supplement does not update that related serial and
carries its own designation system that is distinct and independent from
that used by the related serial.

Also the CONSER Cataloging Manual Module 17.4 goes into some detail with
examples about how to catalog various types of serial supplements.

Hope this helps.  --Steve

    Steve Shadle           shadle@u.washington.edu  *******
    Serials Cataloger                                *****
    University of Washington Libraries, Box 352900    ***
    Seattle, WA 98195               (206) 685-3983     *

(3)---------------------------
Date:         Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:50:57 -0500
From:         Nancy Hanks <hanks@STSCI.EDU>

It should have a separate bib record with a 772 for Psychological Science.
You should also add locally a 770 supplement entry on the Psychological
Science record.  If the ISSN for Psychological Science is printed in the
supplement, put a 022 delimiter y (incorrect ISSN) in the record for the
supplement.  Nancy

--
Nancy Hanks                                      Phone: (410) 338-4765
Assistant Librarian                              Email: hanks@stsci.edu

My opinions are my own and do not represent STSI.

(4)---------------------------
Date:         Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:55:44 -0600
From:         Dana Belcher <dbelcher@MAILCLERK.ECOK.EDU>
Subject:      Supplement or new title? -Reply

It has it's own issn and record on OCLC (see #43619255).  We cataloged it
as a new, separate title.

Dana Belcher, Periodicals/Acquisitions Librarian
East Central University
Linscheid Library
Ada, OK 74820
580-310-5564

(5)-----------------------
Date:         Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:23:13 -0600
From:         Ruth Christ <ruth-christ@UIOWA.EDU>

If a supplement has its own title and numbering sequence, we would catalog
it as a separate title.  The order/receiving record would have a notation
that it came on the parent title order.  Generally, we find it much easier
to handle supplements on their own records when possible.  The ones we
would usually leave on the parent record would include ones which are also
numbered-in as part of the parent title, are paged continuously with the
parent title, or don't really have continuous numbering of their own.

Ruth
Ruth Christ <ruth-christ@UIOWA.EDU>

>>> Lynne Stevens <lstevens@RMWC.EDU> 01/30/01 08:53am >>>
I'm hoping the serials catalogers out there can help me with this one:

What do you do when a title puts out a regularly-issued supplement with its
own title and numbering?  In this case, it's Psychological Science, which
now has a supplement called Psychological Science in the Public Interest.
The latter has a subtitle, A Journal of the American Psychological Society,
an indication to me that it is a separate journal.  The supplement is
published in May and Nov and has its own volume numbering with two numbered
issues per year.  It apparently is not available as a subscription separate
from its parent title.  Publication information lists the title and ISSN for
Psychological Science.

So:  Should this "supplement" have every issue listed separately as
supplements on the bib record and serials copy record for the parent title?
(Our ILS does not have a way to show two main runs on one bib record, unless
they are separate formats.)  Or should there be a separate marc record for
the creature?

Yours, perplexed,
Lynne N. Stevens
Serials Coordinator