Re: 246 or new record for Foreign Policy? (4 messages) Birdie MacLennan 08 Jan 2001 14:59 UTC

4 messages, 98 lines:

(1)--------------------------
Date:         Sat, 6 Jan 2001 19:47:30 -0500
From:         Karen Nadeski <k.nadeski@THE-SPA.COM>
Subject:      Re: 246 or new record for Foreign Policy? -- Buddy Pennington

Hi, Buddy!

How many issues do you have in hand with this change?  Without seeing the
actual issues, I would opt for adding a 246 field instead of making a new
record.  Foreign Policy appears to be the stable form of the title at this
time.

Karen Nadeski

Contract Cataloger
Donahue Group, Inc.
Wethersfield, CT
<k.nadeski@THE-SPA.COM>

(2)--------------------------
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2001 07:58:10 -0500
From:         Lynn Cote <Lynn.Cote@UCONN.EDU>

Buddy,
This change occurred with the Sept./Oct. 2000 issue at which time the
frequency also changed to bimonthly.  OCLC uses the following:

246 1   $i Issues for <Sept./Oct. 2000-> have also title: $a FP

***************************
Lynn K. Cote
Serials Receipt Coordinator
Collections Services, U-5BC
University of Connecticut
Homer Babbidge Library
369 Fairfield Road
Storrs, CT 06269-1005
(860)486-6495
lynn.cote@uconn.edu
fax: (860)486-6493

(3)--------------------------
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2001 08:33:20 -0500
From:         Nancy Burns <nburns@PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>

        Under AACR2 rules, serials are rarely cataloged under initialisms.
>From AACR2 (1988 rev.), 12.1.B2:
        "When the title appears in full and in the form of an acronym or
initialism in the chief source of information, choose the full form as the
title proper unless the acronym or initialism is the only form of title
presented in other locations of the serial."
        So since you say that the full form is still appearing on the
pieces, the title proper remains Foreign Policy.  Just add a 246.

                                Nancy Burns
                                Cataloging Unit IV (Serials)
                                Princeton University Library
                                nburns@princeton.edu

(4)--------------------------
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2001 08:44:21 -0500
From:         "J. Shore" <shorej@THPL.ORG>

Buddy,
You can get by with just using a 246.

>>From AACR2R(1998) 12.1B.2: "When the title appears in full and in the
form of an acronym or initialism in the chief source of information,
choose the full form as the title proper unless the acronym or
initialism is the only form of title presented in other locations in the
serial." So just adding the initials to the cover and title page doesn't
represent a change to title proper.

J.

--
J. Shore