Re: Purchasing ProQuest MARC Records Martha Gunnarson 19 Jan 2001 17:37 UTC

At WPI we have a subscription to the records for ABI/INFORM Global. I was
concerned at first because the records appeared to be for the electronic
version, but later realized that they simply stuck the gmd:  "$h [computer
file]." on the 245 of the OCLC record for the paper version.  (We use the
single record approach.)  None of the records has a 300 field, and they
have stripped out the 510 fields, and any 856 besides their own.  I have
been adding the records to our online catalog. If it is a new title for
us, I edit the Bell & Howell record. If we already have the record, I cut
and paste the pertinent fields (035, 856) from the Bell & Howell record
into our record.  It's slow, but it satisfies my obsessive-compulsiveness.
8-)

If anyone would like a .gif file showing some of the differences between
records, please e-mail me directly: mailto:mg@wpi.edu

Martha Gunnarson
Serials Librarian
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
mg@wpi.edu

p.s. Voyager doesn't have any problems with cutting and pasting.  Our
catalog is at:
http://library.wpi.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=First
Doing a title search on "ProQuest" will bring up an assortment of edited
ProQuest and cut-and-pasted records.

--mg--