Re: Cataloging the Standard and Poor's Stock Guide (J. Shore) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 26 Feb 2001 19:41 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:55:23 -0500
From: "J. Shore" <shorej@THPL.ORG>
Subject: Re: Cataloging the Standard and Poor's Stock Guide (Buddy Pennington)

Buddy Pennington wrote:
...snip...
> ... In our stacks I
> found holdings for the S&P Security Owner's Stock Guide from January 1950 to
> October 1999.  I then noticed that they dropped the "Security Owner's" part
> from the the title and it now says Standard and Poor's Stock Guide.  The
> ISSN appears to be 0038-9412, atleast through December of 2000 (I could not
> find the ISSN on the January 2001 issue!).  So it appears that there should
> be two records for this title because of the name change.
>
> When I looked in OCLC I find two records but it looks really strange.  The
> record for the Security Owner's Stock Guide (OCLC #1645167) is still open so
> is this something that is still being published?  The record for the stock
> guide (OCLC #3633965) has a different ISSN (0737-4135)....

The S&P Security Owner's Stock Guide (ISSN 0038-9412) is still being
published. I looked at issues from Jan 1998 through the current Feb 2001
issue. I find no change in the representation of the title. In fact, the
wording of the third page, which has most of the publication
information, has stayed remarkably consistent.

Looking at Ulrich's, I find they no longer list the Security Owner's
issue other than as a previous title to S&P Stock Guide. (Which lists
the ISSN 0737-4135.) Maybe a call to S&P at 212-438-2000 is in order.
They may have split off a new Stock Guide from the Security Owner's
title.

HTH,
J.

--