Re: Journal Impact Factor (David Goodman) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 26 Feb 2001 19:43 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:18:05 -0400
From: David Goodman <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Re: Journal Impact Factor (Pency Murphy)

It is an excellent tool (we use JCR on the Web) , provided that:
1. It is only used to compare journals in the same field. Using it to make as
single list across disparate fields is abuse of the system. Some fields have
very high impact factors because they  cite only the most recent work, some
have low counts because of the long time period over which use accumulates.
2. Account is taken of journals that people read, but don't make references
to, like Scientific American or New Scientist.
3. Attention is paid to local interests and local needs.

An even better way is to count the references your own people cite. This can
be done only with the Dialog version, and only if you have a distinctive
address.

Anyway, you are probably not looking for citations only, but citations per
dollar (or euro, etc).
You should be buying value, not bulk.

--
David Goodman