Re: Paper + online access discussion (David Goodman) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 19 Feb 2001 17:05 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:55:40 -0400
From: David Goodman <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Re: Paper + online access discussion (Stephen Lacey)

We are a research library that has done converted some titles to electronic
only. We do not do it in those few fields for which  we consider we have
primary archival responsibility  (in the sciences, that means mathematics),

If anyone should maintain print versions of primary materials, it would be a
national library, and I would recommend you continue receiving print copies
for your journals as long as they are still published in that format.

As for indexes and reference tools,  of course I am sure you are aware of what
sources still require the print as a permanent record because the online has
just the current year (such as Ulrich's).

At a national library, I am not sure I would eliminate print version though in
any case even for indexes and the like.

--
David Goodman
Biology Librarian