Re: Journal of Marriage and Family (Beth Guay) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 19 Feb 2001 20:32 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:06:11 -0500
From: Beth Guay <bg53@UMAIL.UMD.EDU>
Subject: Re: Journal of Marriage and Family (Lynne Stevens)

Lynne,
That's interesting. Since, according to AACR2 21.2A1, the change is not
indicative of a title change, I recataloged the record for the original title
(OCLC#1641520) adding a note to provide access to the current variant. I just
did a derived title search in OCLC on "jou,of,ma,a" and was surprised that it
did not retrieve the record for the recataloged title. Thus, I assume that
OCLC derived title searches search an index of title propers and uniform titles
only. A good refresher in searching for records in OCLC.
A scan title search on Journal of marriage and family pulls up the
record for the recataloged title as well as the new record you refer to--I
should have seen that record when I recataloged the original record, but I
overlooked it somehow. My apology! Thanks for bring this to the list-serve!
I've locked the record and will report it to OCLC as a duplicate to be
deleted/ merged with OCLC#1641520--ASAP.
Beth Guay

> Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:44:57 -0500
> From: Lynne Stevens <lstevens@RMWC.EDU>
> Subject: Journal of Marriage and Family
>
> Another Monday, another name change.  In an effort which "better represents
> our mission," the National Council on Family Relations has changed Journal
> of Marriage and the Family to Journal of Marriage and Family.  I know you
> are all as excited as I am about this.  ISSN, publication pattern, and
> publisher have not changed.  One library (not DLC) has entered a marc record
> in OCLC for the new title.
>
> While I am usually very much in favor of using the absolutely-correct marc
> record, I wonder if, in this case, the use of a second record for such a
> similar title would be more confusing to our patrons than the correctness of
> it is worth.  One option would be to add a 740 note to the current record,
> so that both titles would be indexed in our ILS.
>
> Opinions and suggestions are anticipated and will be appreciated!
>
> Lynne N. Stevens
> Serials Coordinator
> Lipscomb Library
> Randolph-Macon Woman's College