Re: ACRL Library Statistics cataloging question (Gaele Gillespie) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 01 Mar 2001 20:58 UTC

Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 12:56:29 -0600
From: "Gillespie, Gaele" <ggillespie@UKANS.EDU>
Subject: Re: ACRL Library Statistics cataloging question (Donna Sue Yanney )

When we received our 1998 report under the new title (we received only the
one volume:  Academic library trends and statistics for Carnegie
classification. Doctoral-granting institutions, master's colleges and
universities, baccalaureate colleges), and based on what was said in its
Introduction, we cataloged the new title under OCLC #49290948 and added the
780 for the former title (ACRL university library statistics). On our bib
record for the old title (OCLC #06829666), the 2 requisite 785s were added
(Academic trends and statistics for Carnegie classification. Associate of
arts colleges. AND Academic library trends and statistics for Carnegie
classification. Doctoral-granting institutions, master's colleges and
universities, baccalaureate colleges).  At the time, we also had an ACRL
announcement which verified the title change -- the old title ending
effective with the 1996/1997 report, the new title(s) beginning effective
with the 1998 report.  From this combined information, it seemed clear that
the old title was no longer going to be published and was being replaced by
the new incarnation(s). However, it certainly wasn't clear that the new
reports would be published only *as a set* each year; in fact, our standing
order is only for the volume that contains the statistics for
doctoral-granting institutions [etc]... A look at the ALA website (go to
ACRL's division page, then click on "publications" in the list bar, then
under "Academic Library Statistics", "Data for 1999", click on "Detail
data...complete description and order info") shows that the volumes are
available individually or as a set.  I've copied/pasted below the
information given, and although the format doesn't "transliterate" well
here, you can at least see that the 2 reports are available separately or as
a 2-vol. set.  I couldn't find anything on the statistics page about the old
title (ACRL university library statistics) for 1998 or 1999, so this
reinforces our original interpretation that the 2 new titles continued the
statistical info that used to be combined in the former title, but that the
former title isn't continuing.  In any case, we've closed out our record for
the old title with the 1996/1997 report.
ALA website / ACRL division page / Publications/
LIBRARY STATISTICS

 (Associate of Arts)
 $75.00, ACRL member $67.50,
 200p., 0-8389-8126-7, 2000

 (Doctoral/Master's/Baccalaureate)
 $135.00, ACRL member $121.50;
 400p.; 0-8389-8127-5; 2000

 (Two-Volume Set)
 $180.00, ACRL member $162.00;
 0-8389-88128-3; 2000

ACRL 1999 Academic Library Trends and Statistics
Center for Survey Research, University of
Virginia, compiler

The second data set from ACRL's comprehensive
statistics-gathering project encompassing all
academic libraries. Data from 1,367 academic libraries in all Carnegie
classifications is included. The core set of data consists of four
major categories:
Collections: which includes monographic volumes,
serials and microforms, etc.; Expenditures: which includes
library materials, electronic serials, computer hardware and
software, salaries and wages, etc.; Library Operations: which includes
hours of operation, staff, ILL, reference, etc.; and Local
Characteristics or Attributes;
which includes enrollment, institutional budget,
etc. Also included is
data on faculty status for librarians---the extent
to which an institution provides the nine conditions for
faculty status as defined
by the ACRL standard.

The statistics are available in two volumes: one
which includes institutions in Carnegie classification Associate
of Arts degree
granting and one which includes those in the
combined Carnegie classifications of Research/Doctoral-granting
Universities, Master's Colleges and Universities, and Baccalaureate
Colleges. (May also be purchased as a two-volume set.)

____

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:24:20 -0500
From: Donna Sue Yanney <dyanney@MAIL.GCSU.EDU>
Subject: ACRL Library Statistics cataloging question

I have in front of me both volumes of the 1998 and 1999 "Academic Library
Trends and Statistics for Carnegie Classification: ..."  From the
introduction of the 1998 set, I assume it to be continuing "ACRL University
Library Statistics."  However, when I check OCLC the dates for "ACRL
University Library Statistics" (oclc 6829666) have not been closed nor has
a 785 been added.  The records for the new titles (oclc 43252603 and
42920948) don't have a 780 for the previous title.

Does anyone out there have any more information?  Does ACRL plan to
continue publishing both the old biennial title and the new annual two
volume set?

Thanks much,

Donna

Donna Sue Yanney, Serials Librarian