Re: Inserting tattle-tapes in periodical issues (4 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 02 Mar 2001 23:44 UTC

4 messages:

1)_____

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 15:04:20 -0600
From: "Skwor, Jeanette" <skworj@UWGB.EDU>
Subject: Re: Inserting tattle-tapes in periodical issues (Leslie Button)

***We do.  The strip itself is 6 1/2" long, double-sided.  We get them in
boxes of 1000. The price is around 10 cents a strip, I'm told.

***Does anyone use the new kind, on the roll?  Is it really easier & faster?
Would be interested in hearing your experience with it.

 Jeanette Skwor     Cofrin Library     Serials Dept.
University of WI-Green Bay
Phone: (920) 465-2670       Fax: (920) 465-2783

2)______

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:15:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Elizabeth Mcdonald <lizm@unr.edu>

Leslie,

We do tattle tape all our peridodicals.  We use double sided tattle tape,
but I do not know the cost.  Another thing you need to consider is tattle
taping in a consistint place.  You might want to contact your binder and
see what they prefer.  We tattle tape 12 pages in from the front so the
binder knows where to remove them during binding.

Elizabeth McDonald
Reno, Nevada

3)_____

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 15:41:14 -0600
From: "MD_Buddy (Buddy Pennington)" <MD_Buddy@KCLIBRARY.ORG>

We do not for most of our periodicals.  There are two caveats to our policy.
First, we retain most of our holdings on microfilm so the loss of physical
issues is not as pressing to us.  Most of our issues are in closed stacks.
My former library, an academic, did security strip their current issues.

Buddy Pennington
Kansas City Public Library - Main
Document Delivery Librarian
MD_buddy@kclibrary.org
816-701-3552

4)______

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:45:03 -0600
From: John Lucas <jlucas@ROWLAND.UMSMED.EDU>

Leslie and All:

We have been using the 3M Tattletapes (double sticky sided,)  in our unbound issues for about 6 years.  This was looked at shortly after I arrived here and our Incomplete volumes area in Technical Services was expanding very rapidly.   Up until then, we were only striping about 20-30 titles (very expensive ones)

We also strip most of our newsletters. This was justified some months ago when an individual from outside the institution tried to walk off with almost all of our 2000  issues of our Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics.

Yes, we probably would be able to find replacements for them through Backmed and Yes, it does involve extra time (the people at the Circulation Desk strip the issues when not helping patrons) and cost (I don't know how much/year but you can check probably most library supply catalogs).

The strips are added on an inside page as close to the spine as possible.  Most get cut out when it goes for binding.

+++++++++

John Lucas

Serials Librarian
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 North State St
Jackson, MS 39216-4505

(PH) (601) 984-1277
(FAX)  ( 601) 984-1262