Newspaper check in (9 messages) Marcia Tuttle 19 Apr 2001 00:11 UTC

---------(1)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:43:16 -0500
From: Peter V. Picerno <ppicerno@UTMEM.EDU>
Subject: Re: Newspaper check in (Deb Dickson)

At ASU we treated newspapers like any other serial and checked them in daily
into the library system, that way they showed up in the holdings record and
also helped us keep up with claiming them (this was especially useful for
those newspapers which we received by mail rather than by local delivery).

Peter Picerno

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:49:19 -0400
From: Amanda Bowman Hurst <ahurst@HOLLINS.EDU>
Subject: Re: Newspaper check in (5 messages)

We also check all of our Newspapers in online by using Innovative.  I
would agree that patrons prefer this method because as stated before it
is extremely easy to see what has arrived, and what has not.

--------------------------
Amanda B. Hurst
Serials Coordinator
Wyndham Robertson Library
Hollins University
P.O. Box 9000
Roanoke, Va 24020
Phone: (540)362-6239
Fax:   (540)362-7493

----------(3)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:44:25 +0300
From: Sandhya Srivastava <Sandhya.Srivastava@LIU.EDU>

Deb

We are in the process of automating our serials check-in.  We will be will
also be computerizing all our newspapers.  We are using Horizon Sunrise
System 6.0.  Basically if the newspaper is a daily the check-in should have
the prediction of a daily (with exceptions for holidays).  If it is a
weekly, prediction pattern should reflect that as well.  The next expected
issue date and the claim cycles are what you will really need to decide.
How soon would you want to claim a missing newspaper?  Probably as quickly
as possible (that day) or once you notice it is missing.

As for holdings -- we are going to put in a note which says Library keeps
currrent year only on the shelf.  Our older years are kept in Microform so
we would probably indicate what we have in microform and the years i.e.
Microfilm: v.241 (1994)-v.247 (2000).  In Horizon we would have to create a
print copy record and a microfilm copy record and both would appear in the
summary of holdings in the PAC Display.

Good Luck on your project.  Once you get started and formalize a procedure,
it will get easier.

Sandhya Srivastava
Serials Acquisitions Librarian
Long Island University Brooklyn Campus
Sandhya.Srivastava@liu.edu

----------(4)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:51:13 -0400
From: Marilyn Gane <mgane@ANDREWS.EDU>

Yes, we also check in our newspapers online using Innovative.  However we
only keep them for 2 weeks so our holdings statements say Current 2 weeks
only.  When they are discarded the check-in boxes are deleted.  Often
patrons request a particular issue for personal use so we add a note to
the issue and contact the patron when it is time for them to be discarded.
In addition we have a number of newspapers on microfilm and keep a list of
newspaper web sites beside the newspaper racks and the computer terminals
Hope this helps Marilyn Gane

----------(5)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:16:47 -0500
From: Susan Andrews <Susan_Andrews@TAMU-COMMERCE.EDU>

We check in the newspapers online, but I have the PAC display set so that
it does not show to the public and instead, display a note that says that
the library retains the latest three months only (which is what we do with
newspapers, due to space constraints).  If it is something that we also get
on microfilm, we put that on a separate copy record and let those holdings
show to the public.  If someone needs to know if we received a specific
issue, they call and ask the Serials Dept. (which happens pretty
infrequently).  So far, I haven't had any complaints from this (and we have
been doing it this way for 3 or 4 years now), so I guess that it must be
working ok for public services too.

Susan Andrews
Head, Serials Librarian
Texas A&M University-Commerce
P.O. Box 3011
Commerce, TX 75429-3011
Susan_Andrews@tamu-commerce.edu
(903)886-5733

----------(6)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:22:44 -0700
From: Carol Morse <MorsCa@WWC.EDU>

We check them in on Kardex cards, although all the other serials are on
the computer system.  I wanted the student workers to be able to check
them in when supervisors are not around, and get them up on the rods.  I
didn't want to give them passwords to get into the Serials module.  It's
been working fine for us. Carol Morse

----------(7)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:25:55 -0500
From: "MD_Buddy (Buddy Pennington)" <MD_Buddy@KCLIBRARY.ORG>

At the Kansas City Public Library we manually checkin the daily newspapers.
We get about 30 big city papers, which we checkin on a sheet that lists the
titles alphabetically and then has boxes for the days of that month.  When
the paper arrives, we put an 'X' in that day's box.  My views on the daily
items are that it is faster to checkin on paper (versus keying in the title
and then checkin in the day on the computer) and you do not have to worry
about editing the holdings when you discard the paper issues.  We retain the
last 6 months so if we checked the papers in on the computer we would have
to edit those holdings records every month.  With the paper checkin system
we do not have to worry about it.

Buddy Pennington
Document Delivery Librarian
Kansas City Public Library
md_buddy@kclibrary.org
816-701-3552

----------(8)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:35:11 -0500
From: Karla Bennett <kbennett@WICHITA.LIB.KS.US>

We check our newspapers in the system but don't use a bar code.  The
system shows we've received the issue and are retaining it.  Depending on
the newspaper we keep the current month, week, day and delete the
discards.

Our patrons don't usually go to the system for newspapers because we keep
them displayed or easily accessible.

Karla C Bennett
Wichita Public Library
phone:316-261-8582 (X3282)
fax:316-262-4540

----------(9)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:51:51 -0400
From: Lynne Stevens <lstevens@RMWC.EDU>

Deb --

My coworkers hear me mumble a lot about newspapers.  They're not one of my
favorite things, but I have pretty much tamed them.  We check in daily
newspapers on our Dynix system.  We have the appropriate OCLC record for
each title with a serials copy record to show a subscription summary.  Most
titles are checked in by date only.  Because Christian Science Monitor and
Wall Street Journal sometimes do not publish on a holiday, it is useful to
have a publication pattern which includes volume and issue; then we know
whether a missing Monday issue, for example,  was not published or not
delivered.

Besides the obvious record-keeping advantage to us and our patrons, doing it
this way has two additional benefits.  First, for those titles which we get
on microform, patrons can see, on one screen, holdings summaries for both
the paper and fiche formats and can better determine where to look for a
particular issue.  Second, notes can be added on the summary screen.  We get
weekday same-day delivery for two titles, but check in only the mail
subscription which comes a couple of days later.  I have a note on the
summary screen for those titles: Today's paper may also be on the shelf.

Our system gives us the option of creating or not creating a barcode-bearing
holding line for each individual issue of a title  If we choose the Holding
option, we can delete the lines for issues when we discard them,
automatically changing the holdings summary.  Alternatively, we can choose a
No Holding option, and have one "barcoded" (dummy number) holding which
says, for example, All Issues.  Discarding is then very simple: nothing to
delete, but only the summary to modify.

While we're on newspapers, I'll add here that I changed over about six years
ago from ordering newspapers directly to ordering through our serials jobber
-- first Faxon, now EBSCO.  It's one of the best decisions I've made since
taking over serials.  I have the newspapers separated out into a
sub-account, and whatever I pay to the jobber to keep up with this is worth
every penny.  I even get the local paper this way, and it somehow comes via
mail on the morning it is published!

Yours, with inky hands,

Lynne N. Stevens
Serials Coordinator