Re: E-J statistics (Dan Lester) Marcia Tuttle 23 Apr 2001 12:05 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:49:24 -0600
From: Dan Lester <dan@riverofdata.com>
Subject: Re: E-J statistics (Minh-Thu Nguyen)

We do the same at Boise State.  However, a couple of the physicists
have indicated to me (because I'm liaison to that department among
several) that they bookmark the titles they use.  (This is hardly
surprising, since I do the same thing)  That issue came up when I was
telling them about us tracking usage of ejournals as well as print
journals, and they wondered if they should quit accessing that way,
due to their concern that the stats might be too low to retain the
ejournal.  In the case they were concerned about, I told them not to
worry, as we were sure not to cancel Physical Review.

cheers

dan

At Ecole Polytechnique, Montreal, we have been taking "usage" statistics of
electronic resources for about a year.

In order to do this, our URLs have 2 parts:
- part 1 is the address of a local perl script which increments the count,
then redirects to the address in the second part.
- part 2 is the address of the resource.

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan@RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA