Who has the final say? (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 23 Apr 2001 23:52 UTC

----------(1)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:13:53 -0400
From: "ad6509@wayne.edu" <ad6509@WAYNE.EDU>
Subject: Re: Who has the final say? (David Goodman)

> From: David Goodman <dgoodman@PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>

> You'll notice I said "need" not "think they need". We are in a much
> better position to determine actual need and actual use than they are.

There certainly seems to be no reason for our existence as librarians if
we cannot exercise our professional judgement. Use stats and knowledge of
the available materials are good solid components of our 'value added'.

Sometimes, of course, an individual faculty member may not care how
popular an item is, if research, rather than teaching, is the concern. The
faculty member who is adamant that you retain that obscure journal nobody
seems to read, may have a career resting on having it at hand. In cases
like that, maybe some more reference-interview style interrogation, and
perhaps some alternate method of delivery, might solve the problem?

Disclaimer: as a library educator, I sometimes get my hats confused. ;-)
cbs

---
       Chris Brown-Syed <ad6509@wayne.edu>

----------(2)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:51:08 -0400
From: "Stokes, Judith" <JStokes@RIC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Who has the final say? (Liu Liu)

Sorry, LiuLiu,

The answer to who has the final say is entirely political. My guess is that
if you have been there only one year, you do not have the final say, whether
your position is responsible for weeding or not. Theoretically, the
administration has the final say on what resources are maintained by an
institution, because they pay the bills. Also in theory, the faculty makes
the selection (including deselection) decisions for the library, for the
reason you stated. In reality, some institutions are run by faculty and
served by administrators, some are just the opposite and most are in
between. And, of course, librarians may be administrative staff or faculty,
depending on the organization of the college. In certain environments, if
any of the faulty are offended,  especially if the ones who are offended
wield considerable power, you may not even be secure in your position if you
pursue your plan for "their" periodicals. Then it won't matter whether you
were right or wrong. I strongly suggest you take the advice you solicited,
maintain the disputed materials for now, and study your situation. As others
have suggested there are sources to consult, and aspects of your situation
to study. (How much space? What rate of growth? etc.)

Surely someone decides what to do if a faculty department overspends its
acquisition funds. Once you have that person or group on your side, and a
plan with which to proceed, then you may want to present your retention
criteria to the faculty and solicit information/advice again in future.

Good luck,

Judith Stokes, Serials Librarian
James P. Adams Library, Rhode Island College
Providence, RI  02908
phone: (401)456-8165
email: jstokes@ric.edu