Nominations for Worst Serial Title Change of the Year (Eugene Dickerson) Marcia Tuttle 26 Apr 2001 01:26 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:00:28 -0400
From: Eugene Dickerson <DICKERSE@MAIL.NLM.NIH.GOV>
Subject: Nominations for Worst Serial Title Change of the Year

ALCTS SEEKS NOMINATIONS FOR THE WORST SERIAL TITLE CHANGE OF THE YEAR
 AWARDS, 2001

There's still time to submit your nominations!  The ACLTS Serials Section
Worst Serial Title Change of the Year Committee is seeking nominations for
the awards for 2001.
 You can see the past winners (1984-2000) on the ALCTS website at:
 http://www.ala.org/alcts/organization/ss/worst.html

 Are there serial title changes that you have had to deal with this past
year that were particularly troubling?  Did you ask yourself, "Why, oh why
did they change this title?"  "What were they thinking?"  or perhaps, you
just asked, "Why me?"  In any case, the SS Worst Serial Title Change
Committee would love to hear from you.  Send us your worst!  (How often do
you get that opportunity?)  Tell us just how bad it was.

 In order to be eligible for an award, the title change should have
occurred during calendar year 2000.  It would be really helpful if you
send surrogates of the title change (i.e. the "before" and "after") from
the issues involved in the change, plus a copy of the bibliographic
records.  We would also be interested in a category or name for your
nominee, if you have one (e.g. The Shorter, but not Sweeter Award or the
Everything Old is New Again Award (for the serial that decided to change
back to a previously used title), or the Unwanted Preposition Award. This
is your chance to let those people who make these titles changes know how
you feel about them (or, at least vent your frustration).

 We're also interested in nominations for the perennial Snake in the Grass
Award, which goes to library-related publications that have the nerve (or
the gall) to change title, when they should known better.

We're interested in nominations for serials in any format, i.e. print or
electronic, for this "prestigious" award.

Our deadline for selecting the "winners" is approaching.  We haven't
gotten many nominations this year, so we really need yours!

Send your nominations to:

 Gene Dickerson
 Serial Records Section
 National Library of Medicine