Re: Clinical Neurophysiology, Volume 111, Suppl. 1 (Cindy Hepfer) Marcia Tuttle 26 Apr 2001 12:57 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:38:12 -0400
From: Cindy Hepfer <hslcindy@acsu.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: Clinical Neurophysiology, Volume 111, Suppl. 1 (fwd)

The following message from Elly Tjoa relates to an inquiry posted to
Serialst April 13 by Wanda Freeman. My library was having the same problem
(we too were claiming v.111, suppl. 1 and hadn't gotten either the issue in
question or an explanation from our agent). So I wrote John Tagler at
Elsevier and asked him to forward the inquiry to the appropriate person in
the company, figuring there would be numerous Serialst subscribers who
would like an answer.  Wanda's original message stated: "We received a
"Supplement 2" for volume 111, dated September 2000 -- yet we never
received a Supplement 1. Our claims agent found no mention of the missing
supplement on the publishers' website, nor has she received a response to
her query dated a month ago. Has anyone out there received a Supplement 1,
or a satisfactory resolution to its absence?"

Very shortly after I wrote John, Wanda forwarded a message from Laurel
Sanders that stated: "Our agents inquired for us in early Jan. and were
told that Suppl. 1 was not  included in the subscription price; it is
devoted to abstracts of a meeting held in Lyon.  At the time they said
there were limited no. of copies available for about $25.00."

Elly Tjoa's message confirms Laurel's information. In addition, it
provides an explanation from the publisher's point of view, and some
insights into how publishers have to deal with the needs of the societies
that own journals.  But I think that the explanation also provides all of
us who manage serials subscriptions (libraries and subscription agencies
alike) with an opportunity to commiserate about a publishing practice that
can result in unnecessary claims -- and work -- and leave what looks like
gaps in our collections.

Cindy Hepfer
Cindy Hepfer
Head, Collection Management Services