Re: Bar coding serials (Chris Brown-Syed) Marcia Tuttle 26 Apr 2001 17:46 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:29:48 -0400
From: "ad6509@wayne.edu" <ad6509@WAYNE.EDU>
Subject: Re: Bar coding serials (Lai-Ying Hsiung)

>  From our experience, it is best to barcode the total run for each
> title.

Just curious. We wrestled with barcoding serials years ago when I was with
Geac. The problem then was, "what happens when you bind a year's worth?"
Which of the 12 barcodes is used, or do you take them all off, and put
another on the bound volume? If the latter, what do you do to solve the
"bound with" problem? I think this may have been addressed by things like
the "summary of holdings tag" etc. Or is it still a problem?

cbs

---
       Chris Brown-Syed <ad6509@wayne.edu> "VOID is not a number".