Routing and purchasing of professional journals (3 messages) Marcia Tuttle 26 Apr 2001 17:59 UTC

----------(1)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:46:47 -0500
From: "Skwor, Jeanette" <skworj@UWGB.EDU>
Subject: Re: Routing and purchasing of professional journals (Wendy Isom)

***Other things I've found helpful include putting the website address on
the routing label if there is text online, and sending out an emailed query
when things are in danger of getting out of hand.  The last time I did that
was for _Publisher's Weekly_; I was missing about 1/3 of the issues from the
last several months.  I just emailed the people on the list, telling them
what was missing and asking them to check and lo and behold, issues came
home at an unprecented rate.  I think people just set things aside to read,
and then are forgotten.  If they know they can read the thing online they
will, and if they are reminded they appreciate it, and may even become a bit
more cognizant in the future.  For awhile, at least :)

Jeanette L. Skwor
Serials Dept. - Cofrin Library
University of Wisconsin - Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive
Green Bay, WI 54311
Phone:  (920) 465-2670         Fax: (920) 465-2783

----------(2)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:49:11 +0300
From: Sandhya Srivastava <Sandhya.Srivastava@LIU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Routing and purchasing of professional journals (Lia Hemphill)

Hi Lia

We currently route TOC lists of the journals when they come in.  We also
keep the professional literature on separate office shelves in our
Acquisitions area.  We find this works for us because now Librarians can
actually find the issues they are looking for.  In the past, journals would
sometimes stay on a person's desk for months or be misplaced.  There is a
sign out sheet so if anyone is looking for a particular issue, they can
contact the person who has it.  We have always only had one subscription for
any professional literature including the Chronicle of Higher Education.  We
currently have fifteen full-time librarians.  When we started the TOC
routing, every librarian was allowed to choose how ever many titles they
wanted to read.  There was never a limit placed on what anyone was allowed
to read.  I have had positive responses from Library Faculty on being able
to find the issues they need when they need them.

Hope this helps.

Sandy Srivastava
Long Island University
Brooklyn Campus
One University Plaza
Brooklyn NY 11201
(718) 780 - 4181
Email: Sandhya.Srivastava@liu.edu

----------(3)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:46:27 -0400
From: "Lenville, Jean" <jlenvill@RICHMOND.EDU>
Subject: Re: Routing and purchasing of professional journals (Lia
Hemphill)

I would urge you to route journals about our profession to ANY library
staff, not just professionals. Reading the professional literature was one
of the things that convinced me I wanted to BE a professional! And it
certainly made me more aware of the "big picture", even had I not chosen to
pursue a degree. ALL staff benefit from "professional reading"! (and yes, we
purchase multiple copies if there is enough demand)

Jean Lenville, Head of Bibliographic Access Services (and former
paraprofessional)
Boatwright Library
28 Westhampton Way
Univ. of Richmond, VA 23173