Routing and purchasing of professional journals (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 27 Apr 2001 00:00 UTC

----------(1)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:30:17 -0400
From: Diane M Lewis <dilewis@USGS.GOV>
Subject: Re: Routing and purchasing of professional journals

We used to route the LIS journals and have them disappear into staffers'
backlogs.  Now they are flagged for shelving in a bookcase in a staff area.
People borrow them as needed from the shelves.  They don't seem to be
disappearing as before.  At least no one comes in here asking us where they
are anymore.  And that's a good thing....

Diane M. Lewis, Serial Records Librarian
U.S. Geological Survey Library--MS950
Reston, Virginia  20192
United States of America

Tel. 703-648-4399  Fax 703-648-6376
E-mail:  dilewis@usgs.gov

----------(2)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:34:45 -0500
From: Noreen <nrf@LACROSSE.LIB.WI.US>
Subject: Re: Routing and purchasing of professional journals (Lia Hemphill)

We do buy duplicate copies of certain journals, mostly those used for
selection, since it's important that each of the selectors get to see them
within a single ordering cycle.  We don't set limits on the number of
journals a staff member may have routed to them.  We combat the "black
hole" problem by making sure that all staff are aware that journals SHOULD
be passed on within three business days and making them date the routing
list when they pass it on.  Other staff help keep them honest!

Hope this helps.

--
Noreen Fish                e-mail: nrf@lacrosse.lib.wi.us
La Crosse Public Library      phone:  (608) 789-7144