Re: Rosie and the missing ISSN (Regina Reynolds) Marcia Tuttle 05 Apr 2001 01:40 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:12:27 -0400
From: Regina Reynolds <rrey@LOC.GOV>
Subject: Re: Rosie and the missing ISSN

Teresa and all:

The USPS number is a six-digit number which is used to identify and
control periodicals which qualify for periodicals postal rate.  The number
is assigned by the US Postal Service at the time the permit for reduced
rates is issued.  NSDP has been working with the Postal Service since 1978
and reviews new applications for postal permits as well as the form that
the publisher has to file for a change of title.  We assign ISSN to new or
changed titles.  If a publication has both an ISSN and a USPS number, it
is the ISSN which the publisher is required to print since both numbers
will be recorded in the U.S. Postal Service database.  Some publications
only get a USPS number (church bulletins, local civic organization
newsletters, etc.)  Some publishers choose to print both the USPS number
and the ISSN.  Once in a while a publisher will print the USPS number
instead of the ISSN, or a title slips through the cracks and never gets
sent to NSDP by the USPS.  This may have been the case with Rosie.  I'll
look into it and see that it gets an ISSN assignment.

Regina Reynolds
Head, National Serials Data Program

> ----------(1)
> Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:26:28 -0500
> From: Teresa Grimm <Tgrimm@WAUKESHA.TEC.WI.US>
> Subject: Re: Rosie and the missing ISSN... (Steve Shadle)
>
> Rosie is the second magazine that I have come across that has the USPS
> number where the ISSN number is often found on the masthead.  What exactly
> are the uses of the USPS number?
>
> Teresa Grimm
> tgrimm@waukesha.tec.wi.us
>
> Library Periodicals
> Waukesha County Technical College
> 800 Main Street
> Pewaukee WI  53072
>
> Phone:(262) 691-5539
> Fax: (262) 691-509>

Regina  R. Reynolds                     email: rrey@loc.gov
Head, National Serials Data Program     voice: (202) 707-6379
Library of Congress                     fax    (202) 707-6333
101 Independence Avenue, S.E.           ISSN Web page: lcweb.loc.gov/issn/
Washington, D.C. 20540-4160