Routing procedures (5 messages) Marcia Tuttle 05 Apr 2001 20:21 UTC

----------(1)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:35:28 -0400
From: Amanda Bowman Hurst <ahurst@HOLLINS.EDU>
Subject: Re: Routing procedures (Claire Duncan)

We use Routing & Request post it notes made by Post-it.  We also have
the option to print the slips from our serials module, but I have
concluded that it is way too much trouble.  The Post-it routing slips
are very convenient!
Amanda

--------------------------
Amanda B. Hurst
Serials Coordinator
Wyndham Robertson Library
Hollins University
P.O. Box 9000
Roanoke, Va 24020
Phone: (540)362-6239
Fax:   (540)362-7493

---------(2)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:01:16 -0500
From: Linda Harding <lindah@ELMHURST.EDU>

Claire,

We use the same procedure except that that slips are attached to the cover
with a restickable adhesive (Scotch Restickable Adhesive Glue Stick).  They
are easily removed when the item is returned from routing and we have only
rarely lost a routing slip.

Linda Harding
Periodicals Assistant
Elmhurst College Library

--
Linda Harding
Elmhurst College Library

----------(3)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:22:54 -0500
From: "Hufeld, Sheila" <Sheila@EXCHANGE1.MLB.ILSTU.EDU>

Dear Claire,
Like you we print out routing slips from our automated check in serials
module; but we print them on to the label that follows each call number
label. This eliminates cutting. We then staple the routing slip to a used
envelope in the necessary size and put the labelled issue into the envelope.
In this way we eliminate stapling slips to the cover of each journal. Our
preservation librarian really appreciates our efforts.

Sheila M. Hufeld
Library Technical Asistant III
Periodicals/ACM Dept
Milner Library
Illinois State University
smhufel@ilstu.edu

----------(4)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:27:24 -0400
From: Lauren Irto <irtol@IDOL.UNION.EDU>

Hi Claire, Our library handles routing slips in a way very similar to
yours, but there is a slight difference in our two procedures that may
save you some time. We just fold the route slip in quarters (with routing
info. on top) after it prints out, then attach the slip to the top of the
journal with a paperclip.

Hope this helps!
Lauren Irto
Periodicals Department
Union College

----------(5)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:33:36 -0400
From: Mary Kay Quirk <mquirk@USNEWS.COM>

We print out our routing labels onto standard "stick-on" mailing
labels.  We use a dot-matrix printer with continuous feed labels.  A label
is printed for each copy of a routed title that was checked in on that
day.  This seems to work quite well, although the labels are more
expensive.  Additionally it took the Consultant who is customizing our Star
system sometime to get the information laid out so that it would fit on the
label.

Mary Kay Quirk
Serials & Electronic Collections Librarian
U.S. News & World Report
1050 Thomas Jefferson Street, NW
Washington, DC  20007
Phone: 202-955-2205