Re: New serials librarian needs suggestions (Mitch Turitz) Marcia Tuttle 10 Apr 2001 12:19 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 14:41:04 -0700
From: Mitch Turitz <turitz@SFSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: New serials librarian needs suggestions

Janice:
   Fortunately, you are in the same city where a former serials
cataloger for your library still lives - me!  I was the serials
cataloger there about 15 years ago.  Please feel free to contact me
with serials cataloging questions. And yes, I am still cataloging
serials.  My phone number is: 415.338.7883 or e-mail: turitz@sfsu.edu
   also, don't forget to check out these useful websites:

Serials in Cyberspace by Birdie MacLennan:
   http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/
Catalogers' Reference Shelf:
   http://www.TLCdelivers.com/tlc/crs/crs0000.htm
CONSER EDITING GUIDE:
   http://www.TLCdelivers.com/tlc/crs/edit7375.htm
CONSER PROGRAM HOME PAGE:
   http://www.loc.gov/acq/conser/
and, don't forget the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS RULE INTERPRETATIONS (for AACR2):
   http://www.TLCdelivers.com/tlc/crs/lcri0000.htm
   especially chapter 12, there are a lot of LC rule interpretations for serials

You may want to get the CD Cataloger's Desktop, which contains many
of the serials tools (CONSER Editing guide, etc) and LCRI, etc.  When
ALA comes to San Francisco in June you can have it demonstrated to
you at the LC booth and decide if you like it.  LC is also
experimenting with online access to it, but I haven't heard if it's
available yet.

Also, I noticed on the CONSER'S SERIALS CATALOGING COOPERATIVE
TRAINING PROGRAM   WEB PAGE
<http://www.loc.gov/acq/conser/scctp/schedule.html>
that there will be Basic Serials Cataloging training at: Monrovia
Public Library, Monrovia, Calif. (June 11-12, 2001)  You may want to
sign up for it.

And, if it's not too late, you may want to sign up to go to NASIG's
(North American Serials Interest Group's) annual conference.  It will
be May 23-26 in San Antonio, Texas.  NASIG is THE conference to go to
for serials.  For conference info:
http://www.nasig.org/trinity/index.htm

--Mitch Turitz

--