Out-of-print serials prices (Elaine Donnelly) Marcia Tuttle 11 Apr 2001 13:46 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:37:52 -0400
From: Elaine Donnelly <edonnell@NGS.ORG>
Subject: Out-of-print serials prices

Hello everyone,

Our library is doing a project to place a dollar value on our book and
periodical collections.  Our team found published surveys that give an
average replacement cost for books, but not much on periodical back
issues.  In fact, the most recent thing we've found is an article from
NEWSLETTER ON SERIALS PRICING ISSUES from 1990.

Does anyone know of any more recent sources?  We've looked in Library
Literature on Dialog and on the WWW.

We don't currently have any journals on microfilm in our library.  That
may become part of our calculations, if we are unable to come up with any
prices for paper back issues.

I'd be extremely grateful for any advice you can offer!

Elaine Donnelly, Librarian/Technical Services
National Geographic Society Library
1145 17th Street NW, Washington DC  20036-4688
202-857-7794 voice ; 202-429-5731 fax
edonnell@ngs.org