Re: E-J statistics (David Goodman) Marcia Tuttle 13 Apr 2001 22:59 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:23:04 -0400
From: David Goodman <dgoodman@PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Re: E-J statistics (Minh-Thu Nguyen)

I think your method, besides not getting journals that your users have
bookmarked, will also not  get journals that your users access directly
from the links in other journals or from indexes. It's my impression that
these may represent from 50  to 90% of the use, at least in the sciences.
A number of other people have also suggested answers based on this method,
all of which have the same objection.

In any case, we are specifically interested in every individual journal.
A number of other people have also suggested ways of counting those
journals whose counts are easy to get to.

So far no one has told me that they are trying to measure on a regular
basis, every access from their users to each of the titles.
That does not mean that partial measurments are without value, but we are
trying to get a complete detailed measurment.

David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu            609-258-3235