Re: Out-of-print serials prices (Elaine Donnelly) Marcia Tuttle 13 Apr 2001 23:00 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:41:57 -0400
From: Elaine Donnelly <edonnell@NGS.ORG>
Subject: Re: Out-of-print serials prices

Thanks for the suggestion, Mitch.  Actually, we are trying to determine
the replacement value of the collection.  I must have edited that sentence
out of my original message, trying to be brief.

I've been told that we can't spend any $$ on getting the collection
professionally appraised, so I'm still looking for a formula for
establishing the replacement value.  I saw a 1990 article that quoted an
average price of $25-30 per issue.  Has anyone developed their own formula
that they'd be willing to share?

Thanks!
Elaine Donnelly, Librarian/Technical Services
National Geographic Society Library
1145 17th Street NW, Washington DC  20036-4688
202-857-7794 voice ; 202-429-5731 fax
edonnell@ngs.org
===========

Elaine:
   I realize that this may not be the scholarly answer you might be
looking for but here goes: That is a lot of work and I would
recommend the yellow pages under "Books-used and Rare" - specifically
ads from out-of-print book dealers who make house calls.  I would
suggest that you contact 2 or more dealers and ask for written
estimates, even if you have to pay for them, due to the amount of
labor involved.
   I don't understand why you want a "dollar value" on your
collections as opposed to replacement costs.  Unless your long-term
strategy is to eventually sell your collection, I would stick with
replacement costs.
   Just my opinions.
-- Mitch Turitz